Hallie's Reviews > Streamline

Streamline by Jennifer Lane

Apr 23, 12

bookshelves: ya
Read from April 21 to 22, 2012

Continued to be not my kind of book at all. Part of that is the romance - a certain flavour of romance writing that I don't much enjoy (seriously - do many people get a thrill from reading about someone licking the sweat off their gf after a heavy weight-lifting session?). And I thought the story was all over the place in some ways. Especially as it's YA, we didn't need quite so many POV scenes - they came from protag's older sibling, his father, his gf's father, to name just some that seemed unnecessary. The abusive father (physical abuse rather than sexual abuse) didn't convince me at all. Not that his abusiveness wasn't believable in itself, as it certainly was, but that abusiveness was ENOUGH. No need for anything more than a portrayal of a deeply damaged man who'd never learned how to parent, and never learned to control his anger and frustration. That's a real character. (view spoiler) And there's alcohol abuse, and pain med abuse and messed up relationships galore. Just too much going on.

At risk of exposing just how deeply curmudgeonly I can be, I'm going to add that I was offended by the sex scenes. Not that they happened, but that two kids who were supposed to be smart - top of their years academically - had unprotected sex in the way they did. Leo did try to say it wasn't a good idea, as neither of them had protection, but Audrey's reaction made me really quite cross. Irresponsibility shouldn't be a turn on! (view spoiler)

I hoped there'd be some good descriptions of Annapolis, as I was born there, and spent several years living just across from the Naval Academy, but there wasn't much. Oh well, no book is for every reader.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Streamline.

04/21/2012 page 103
22.39% "This is not my cup of tea. Can't remember why I got it, either. But stayed up too late last night reading it anyway, so draw your own conclusions..."