Jill's Reviews > Fix by Force

Fix by Force by Jason Warne

May 10, 2012

bookshelves: a-ebook, b-contemporary, b-substance-abuse, a-reviewed, b-crime, a-read-in-2012
Read from April 21 to 22, 2012

I want to open this review with a quote from the actual book. This quote is from near the end of the book, and I don't think it spoilers, but beware anyhow:

"Too many young writers waste time backspacing through mistakes and overanalyzing the appearance of the words they've written. A good story though, is just that, a GOOD STORY. It's often written hastily and driven by emotion. It compels the reader to continue, and makes him feel like part of the experience."

Having said that: This book personifies that. I was pulled in right from the get-go and I loved every single page of it. Fix by Force starts with Spencer's daily activities, brutal bullying included. Physical bullying, which I have no experiences with, included. I do however have pretty extensive knowledge of mental bullying and it was expertly done in this book. I was about to write "written", but even though it is in fact written, it doesn't feel like that to the reader. It feels like one is looking directly into Spencer's head.

Even though he is quite obviously wrong in most of his ways of thinking for a great part of the book, the reasoning made a lot of sense to me because I was able to think myself into the character. All the characters - even the minor ones - were build very well and I think we all know people who are maybe a bit like Zack or Tay. I remember someone saying that he couldn't understand why victims of bullying are jealous of their bullies. I was always jealous of the girl who bullied me in school, down to every fiber of my body. And I also hate her a lot, still. So that's why I - in my situation - would not have reacted the same way that Spencer did in the end.

But you know what? It made so much sense for Spencer. Everything he had become and everything he didn't want to be made the ending so perfect. I can recommend this book to teens and adults alike. It doesn't downplay the abuse of steroids in any way, as many books do in my opinion, and it also shows that while you may think that you are lost and are not worth anything the way you are right now, that you are always wrong. Always. Because there is going to be someone in your life that values you a lot.

So read this book, it's very great. In my opinion, very much on parr with books like If I Stay, or even Forbidden - though not in the obvious way. Fix by Force very much deals with emotional as well as environmental issues of teens these days and I love how it is done!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fix by Force.

04/21/2012
16.0% "I feel transported back to my own (not so far away) High School days. Bullies suck."
04/22/2012
59.0% "I love it! I'm actually neglecting some of my duties to read this, it's so accurate and realistic and good!"