♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties's Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Apr 24, 12

bookshelves: meh-it-was-okay
Read on April 24, 2012

It's always nice to get some insight into Jace's life. It makes it easier to understand Jace and suddenly, Jace feels like my best friend.

Merged review:

Cover Rating - 3 out of 5

Synopsis - It's after dark in New York City and Clary Fray is seeing things. The best looking guy in the night club was just been stabbed to death - but the body has just vanished into thin air. Her mother has disappeared and a hideous monster is lurking in her apartment. With her life spiralling into darkness, Clary realizes she has stumbled into an invisible war between ancient demonic forces and the secretive Shadow Hunters - a war in which she has a fateful role to play...

This book was okay. I'm not sure whether I should hate it or love it. I found Clary really annoying and she was just so... Naive
(view spoiler)

Valentine kind of reminded me of Voldemort from Harry Potter.
(view spoiler)

The story, in truth did have some highlights.
I loved the twists and turns the story offered. It kept the story interesting and kept me reading.
(view spoiler)

I absolutely love Cassandra Clare's idea of having the Shadowhunters hunting down the baddies. It's unique and I love her style of writing. The characters are fantastic too. I love the air of mystery around them. I loved how Cassandra did what every good writer should be able to do--make you feel something about the story line.

Anyways, I'll be getting my hands on the next book and fingers crossed, Clary won't be as... naive in the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.

Quotes ♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties Liked

Cassandra Clare
“Don't touch any of my weapons without my permission."
"Well, there goes my plan for selling them all on eBay," Clary muttered.
"Selling them on what?"
Clary smiled blandly at him. "A mythical place of great magical power.”

Cassandra Clare
“Have you fallen in love with the wrong person yet?'
Jace said, "Unfortunately, Lady of the Haven, my one true love remains myself."
..."At least," she said, "you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland."
"Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally, just to keep it interesting.”

Cassandra Clare
“If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now.”

Cassandra Clare
“Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked.”

Cassandra Clare
“Do you remember back at the hotel when you promised that if we lived, you’d get dressed up in a nurse’s outfit and give me a sponge bath?" asked Jace.
"It was Simon who promised you the sponge bath."
"As soon as I’m back on my feet, handsome," said Simon.
"I knew we should have left you a rat.”

Cassandra Clare
“You guessed? You must have been pretty sure, considering you could have killed me."
"I was ninety percent sure."
"I see," Clary said. There must have been something in her voice, because he turned to look at her. Her hand cracked across his face, a slap that rocked him back on his heels. He put his hands on his cheek, more in surprise than pain.
"What the hell was that for?"
"The other ten percent.”

Cassandra Clare
“Don't stop there. I suppose there are also, what, vampires and werewolves and zombies?"
"Of course there are. Although you mostly find zombies farther south, where the voudun priests are."
"What about mummies? Do they only hang around Egypt?"
"Don't be ridiculous. No one believes in mummies.”