Shomeret's Reviews > Bridge of Scarlet Leaves

Bridge of Scarlet Leaves by Kristina McMorris

Apr 21, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction, my-reviews

I read this right after No-No Boyby John Okada, the first novel dealing with Japanese American internment by an Asian American. Kristina McMorris is half-Japanese and is of a different generation. So I thought that this novel might be less intense than No-No Boy. I have to say that I did feel distanced from the characters for most of the book. There seemed to be some missing scenes that might have been edited out. I think they would have made the book stronger. Yet in the last hundred pages or so, I became totally involved with the characters and the narrative. I think that I became more engaged with Maddie, the central character, when she established a bond with her mother in law. Maddie's husband, Lane, also captivated me late in the novel. (view spoiler)

Kristina McMorris mentions the book The Red Angel: The Life and Times of Elaine Black Yoneda, 1906-1988in her author's note. This is a memoir of a real Caucasian woman who joined her Japanese American husband in internment. I can see from the description that Elaine Black Yoneda was extremely political, and therefore quite different from Maddie, McMorris' protagonist. But Yoneda's story intrigues me. I do intend to read it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bridge of Scarlet Leaves.

Tara Chevrestt I just finished this and I have to agree with you. I felt disconnected from Maddie. She didn't do much for me, but I loved Lane and that's odd for me, to relate to a male character and not a female.