Megan (Megan Likes Books)'s Reviews > Thorn

Thorn by Intisar Khanani

Jun 08, 12

bookshelves: 2012-releases, blog-tour, fantasy, magic, review, retellings, ya
Read from June 01 to 08, 2012

I really enjoyed this book. I wasn't entirely sure what to expect when I started it, but I'm sure glad I picked it up! I immediately connect with the main character Alyrra and I couldn't wait to find out what happened to her next! I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading fantasy!

Alyrra is an awesome heroine. I really appreciate how Intisar showcased her imperfection and how she must deal with the consequences of these flaws and work to overcome them. No one is perfect, so I always enjoy imperfect main characters. On the flip side, she has a lot of redeeming qualities that make her likeable and easy to relate to.

One of the major themes for me was human cruelty. Through the book, Alyrra witnesses a lot of cruelty. For this reason, I would not recommend this book for younger readers (perhaps 14+). This one also comes with a mild 'tear-warning' (as in, I got pretty teary-eyed at a couple points). As well, because it is set in a time where social classes were more distinct, it also makes an interesting argument on social inequalities.

The only thing I would change is that I wish Intisar had given a bit more explanation about magic in her story. While it wasn't a hugely important part for most of the story, there were definitely parts when I was curious about how spells could be cast and that sort of thing.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thorn.

06/01/2012
06/03/2012
17.0% "He talks?!?!?! Instant bonus points!!"
show 1 hidden update…