Sharal Hunter's Reviews > The Art of Racing in the Rain

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

May 05, 14

bookshelves: general-fiction
Read from July 01 to 15, 2012

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein was recommended to me by a very good friend and is nothing at all like the books I normally read. For starters, the narrator of the book is a dog named Enzo and the story is told entirely from his perspective. It’s given me a whole new insight on animals and what they are really thinking and how they feel and the fact that they understand so much more than we give them credit for.

The story begins on the eve of Enzo’s death. He’s an old dog, you see, and as we all have done and will do, he’s reflecting back on his life with his master, Denny, a race car driver and his family. Enzo’s view of the world is very funny and thought provoking. Enzo shares with us his love of television and watching car races as well as a documentary that people in Mongolia believe when a dog passes from this life, he will be reincarnated as a human. Enzo is very clear that his ultimate dream is to come back as a man, find Denny and shake his hand.

Through Enzo’s eyes, we are introduced to Denny’s future wife, Eve and meet their daughter Zoe. With Enzo’s help, I learned more about racing cars than I ever knew. Most importantly, we learn from Enzo exactly how loyal a dog is to his pack master and the love he feels for his entire pack. When Denny faces the ultimate adversity, we see it through Enzo’s eyes and feel his helplessness that he can’t fix it. You can’t help but love Enzo. While reading this book, I wished he were with me several times so I could hug him.

This book will make you smile, laugh and cry. This book will make you angry (I absolutely hated the twins and if I had been Enzo, I would have bit them). For me, only a book that truly speaks to my heart is capable of bringing out so many emotions when I read it and The Art of Racing in the Rain did that and more. Get this book, but don’t just read it…savor it. Life is short and Enzo showed me how important it is to make every moment count.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Racing in the Rain.

Kellie If you enjoyed that one, try A Dog's Purpose.