Ryne Steinacker's Reviews > Love That Dog

Love That Dog by Sharon Creech

Apr 20, 2012

[Warning: Extremely mild spoilers ahead, with a dash of enthusiasm.]

I loved this book! I'd probably give it a 4.5-star rating, to be completely accurate; it's not perfect, but it was certainly great. It was an incredibly quick read (I breezed through the thing in around an hour) but it was a really wonderful read. It's very simple--it's told from the perspective of a boy somewhere between middle school and high school, probably middle school, and the book is his poetry journal for an English class--but it's GREAT.

As a future teacher, I think I get excited about this book because of the enthusiasm it shows young people being able to have for language, writing, and literature. As a reader in general, I just plain liked the book. It's entertaining. It's intriguing, and it even has a small (albeit quickly resolved) mystery: What's with the blue car Jack mentions? What does it mean? And I think it is heartfelt. When I read about Jack's simple love for his dog, Sky, I will admit that this stony old heart of mine grew a size or two. I think I (a cat person) even grew to love dogs just a little more at the end.

Read this book. You will love it. And, hey--if you don't love it, you've only lost an hour or so of time.

You'll love it, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love That Dog.