Mya's Reviews > The Descent

The Descent by Jeff Long

May 03, 12

Read from April 20 to May 03, 2012

I just finished this book about five minutes ago and am still recovering. A thrilling semi-horror, archeological thriller with bio-terror and high tech mechanics throughout, this book about life beneath the surface of the earth and the origin of the idea of Hell and Satan both was deceptively overwhelming. What amazed me most was not how the author choose to illustrate his version of the underworld, but how he focused on humans' greed and dominance in the plundering and conquering of it. As the two worlds collide, the clashes are monumental but then so are the mergers. For example, one of the lead characters who I was absolutely in awe of was the ranger, Ike. Formerly a Himalayan guide, a once captive of the underworld, he has been irrevocably scarred and yet rises to superhuman resourcefulness for not only himself but for the humans he eventually leads through the bowels of the underworld. Tame one minute and savage the next, his character was by far apropos to lead a reader through the darkness and deception of a world both deadly and seductive at the same time.

This book has it all: horror, espionage, science, archeological references, romance, Zen meditation and even humor (dark) however. If I must be honest, I had several nightmares while reading this book and any text gripping enough to affect my mental state is a win for me. Visceral at times, yet always grand, Long's action packed thriller was worth every buck.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Descent.