Elaine's Reviews > The Age of Miracles

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker

Apr 28, 12

bookshelves: first-read
Read from April 20 to 27, 2012

This was a Goodreads First Read win.
The Age of Miracles is a story about an 11 year old girl growing up during "the slowing",the earth has slowed down on it's rotation. We're not really told why this happening.
The days are getting longer and it's affecting everyone. Julia continues to go to school and deals with bullying, friendships and her mothers gravity sickness. Her parents decide to stay on clock time but some of the neighbors choose to be on real time with the sun rising and setting and they are basically outsiders, compared to being hippies.
Most of the book is about Julia growing up during this time, her friendships old and new, dealing with sleeping while it's still light out etc.
I liked this book but the first half was repetitive, I was waiting for something to happen. The second half picked up and some things happened that I didn't see coming!
This is also a Young Adult novel, I would say for children 10 to 14. It does have a couple of bad words but other than that I think young girls would enjoy this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Miracles.