Richard Kramer's Reviews > The Way We Live Now

The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope

Apr 20, 2012

this is the trollope to read if you've never read trollope or have only one trollope to read -- but if that's you, I would suggest reading them all, filling the rest of your life with one of his thousand books, written while he was working his way up in a full-time job in the UK postal system; you'll learn all ye need to know on earth, with plenty of laughs thrown in.

THE WAY WE LIVE NOW is about a Ponzi scheme, before there was a Ponzi, and about the willingness of the most privileged and sophisticated to delude themselves to the point of their own ruin. Auguste Melmotte, the schemer, is a 19th c Bernie Madoff, with the difference that Melmotte is a round and complex figure and Madoff so distressingly flat, at least from what one can gather about him. Melmotte is evil but he ain't banal; he has panache, and a creator who looks at him in horror at the same time he rather admires the gale force of his personality. As you will; when he falls, he falls as a great black tree, with an echoing thud.

And there's wonderful stuff about the lesser schemers who run around in circles trying to get the best of him. Just putting these words down makes me want to read the book again! In the next life where, because the mortal coil has been shuffled off, there's time to go back and savor favorite passages, along with the worms.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way We Live Now.

08/19/2016 marked as: read

Petra Eggs Love your review.