Kellie's Reviews > The Prince of Tides

The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy

May 05, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads, fiction-literature

This is the 3rd Conroy book I’ve read. It is probably one of the best books I’ve read. Conroy’s writing is quite beautiful. I am captured by the way he describes the south. Most people I talk to have either read the book or have seen the movie. The book is about a southern family that has a violent history that carries on through adulthood. Conroy makes this family sound very authentic, like they actually exist. Southern families seem so strong and noble even when they have something to hide. They work to keep the dignity of their culture, their way of life, their history. It’s fascinating to me. Being from the north, I feel like you can see the struggle and hardships in the face of a northerner. They show it in their attitude, the way they speak and their relationships. A southerner, no matter how hard their life is, will make you feel at home by their consistent friendliness, humor and love of the south. Conroy really captures this theme in his books and I feel like I have learned more about the south by reading his books. This will go right up there with some of my favorite reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prince of Tides.

04/21/2012 page 98
14.0% "it is rare I find a book so engrossing....Not only the plot..but the writing is incredible"
04/23/2012 page 141
20.0% "this book has so many dynamics...It's going to be a roller coaster ride getting through it. it's fantastic!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Heidi I loved this book but there are sections that broke my heart!!