Allan's Reviews > So Damn Much Money: The Triumph of Lobbying and the Corrosion of American Government

So Damn Much Money by Robert G. Kaiser

Apr 20, 12

Read in March, 2012

A dear friend sent me this book so I felt compelled to read it, if for no other reason than to delve deeper into my friend's inner being. I'm not normally a non-fiction reader, but I read this one and found the last 40 years of my life redefined by what's been happening in Washington...nothing surprising! All my life it's been par for the course to believe those in Washington are taking the public trough as their own. Nothing I read here changed that score, but I did feel sadness when certain names came up as less than stellar in the process. While my names may not be your names, have no fear, there's plenty of blame for all in this book.

Finding out how lobbying got its beginnings from our country's earliest days is one thing, but watching as the folks in D.C. polished up the process over the last few decades is galling. You know, if you concentrate on the process of causing another pain, you can raionalize your way out of the obvious result. It worked in Auschwitz and it works in Washington.

Willie Sutton said he robbed banks because "that's where the money is." That imperical logic is the driving engine for lobbyists, no surprise there, but the players involved are. Seeing how many of our finest academic institutions danced to the Devil's hornpipe, enabling the modern lobbyists' greatest successes is tragic. Enough.

Kaiser has written a well-researched book. I hesitate to call it an expose, because it's self-evident from the title. There is just "So Damn Much Money."
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Damn Much Money.