Gail's Reviews > Train Dreams

Train Dreams by Denis Johnson

Apr 20, 2012

it was ok
Read in April, 2012

This book is the May read for our book club and while I just picked it up earlier this week, it's barely a whisper of a novella (at a little over 100 pages) and so, I'm already done with it.

And that, in the end, was the problem with the book for me. It was TOO short. I was too aware of its length for the entire duration of the book, finding myself at certain points thinking, "Why did he waste five pages on THAT character? HE DOESN'T HAVE FIVE PAGES TO WASTE". It was also one of those books that has an outcome to it that feels a bit like an unraveled string, like there should be more to it than what it was.

Then again, what do I know. I just never felt any connection to the book's protagonist, Robert Grainer, a day laborer short on luck while trying to make a life for himself in the turn-of-the-century Pacific Northwest. But hey, it's been nominated for so many "Best Of" lists over the past year, not to mention was one of three books shortlisted for the Pulitzer (though none of those would go on to win), so plenty of intelligent folk out there must have found something redeeming to this story, yeah?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Train Dreams.

Judith Ditto! Why all the rave reviews? What are we missing?

message 2: by Cathy (new) - added it

Cathy Day I just read it. I feel bad because a lot of people I admire LOVED it, but I was quite underwhelmed.