Dorothea's Reviews > Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman

Catherine the Great by Robert K. Massie

Oct 21, 12

Read from July 01 to 13, 2012

Incredibly detailed and well-researched book! I learned SO much about the time-period and Catherine!! This is not an easy read, but it is one to really IMMERSE oneself in Russian history!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catherine the Great.

07/05/2012 page 50
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kerri (new) - added it

Kerri Adams How do you like it? I had this on a list to read and never got to it.

Dorothea Kerri, if you REALLY like to get into a topic, then this is the book for you. I didn't study Russian history in-depth and this is a good tutorial!! I am reading it on my Kindle and it is causing me to look up cities and people that I never knew about!! Also, I now have a love for Russia and have a LOT of new places that I am adding to my "bucket list"!!

message 3: by Kerri (new) - added it

Kerri Adams You should read Nicholas and Alexandra....I read it a long time ago and that was the book that started my interested in Russian history. Well that and Fiddler on the Roof. LOL Thanks for the review.

Dorothea Thanks, Kerri!!
I have all of his books on my list!! I also am thinking about Peter the Great or the Romanovs also!! SO many books, TOO little time!

message 5: by Kerri (new) - added it

Kerri Adams EXACTLY my thoughts. I am having a hard time settling on ONE book as I want to read so many. But I am having great fun talking about books with friends. LOL

message 6: by Kerri (new) - added it

Kerri Adams Oh, DUH, I had no idea that those two books were by the same author. LOL

Dorothea NO biggie - that says a lot about his writing style! It is OBVIOUSLY well-researched!! I am enjoying checking out all of these books from the library plus having Katherine seeing ME read is important. The other night we were BOTH reading library books!! LOVED IT!!