Addie R.'s Reviews > Dreamless

Dreamless by Josephine Angelini

Apr 20, 2012

bookshelves: 5-stars, came-out-2012, favorites, greek, read-in-2012, paranormal, i-own, sequel, holy-shit-epic, mythology, series
Read from June 18 to 20, 2012 — I own a copy

Originally posted: http://addie-bookwormrecommendations....

Dreamless was just as captivating and engaging as Starcrossed, if not more! Unlike Starcrossed, the beginning wasn’t slow, but it was a bit confusing. Helen was popping in and out of the underworld without so much of an explanation. And I still feel like it was left unexplained. All that is said is that when she goes to sleep at night, she winds up in the underworld and Angelini leaves it at that. But this was my only complaint and the confusion soon wears off as the story progresses.

Ever since Daphne lied to the Delos family that Helen was their cousin, it’s been hard for Lucas and Helen to stay away from each other. It was so frustrating for it to cause a bunch of problems for the family and Helen when it was all just some big lie Daphne made up. And along with family and Lucas problems, Helen has to deal with the torturous Underworld every night. Helen probably had the worst to go through, but everyone else was too busy with their own minor problems to notice her suffering. That is, until Orion comes into the story.

Orion was charismatic, funny and charming so it was impossible not to like him. I can tell there was a bit of a love-triangle brewing, but I think it was very well done. Instead of focusing on the love-triangle and putting an unnecessary amount of drama into it, Angelini doesn’t make it the main focus like other novels do. Orion and Lucas aren’t constantly fighting over Helen, but are working together to help her and I think that’s what other YA guys should be doing. Sure, there were some times where Lucas was a little jealous when Helen spent time with Orion when he couldn’t, but it wasn’t like he punched Orion in the face over it or anything.

The Greek Mythology was also very enjoyable and not boring at all when it’s brought up in the story. It was a bit confusing to follow along, but I wasn’t completely lost. The third person also made it even more enjoyable as we get to see what else is going on. There was a lot more sub-character relationships developing and so much more going on that Helen doesn't knows about.

Overall, Dreamless was a successful sequel to Starcrossed. The complaints I had were minor and easily forgettable once I got into the story. The ending wasn’t a cliffhanger, but still managed to make me want more. Helen really grew from that extremely shy girl she was in Starcrossed, into a much more tough and strong heroine. If you have read Starcrossed and haven’t read Dreamless, what are you waiting for!? And if you still have yet to read Starcrossed, I totally recommend you try it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreamless.

Quotes Addie R. Liked

Josephine Angelini
“You're my invisible sun, aren't you?”
Josephine Angelini, Dreamless

Josephine Angelini
“Yes. I love them both. And I'd die for them both.”
Josephine Angelini, Dreamless