Nick Mariner's Reviews > Damned

Damned by Chuck Palahniuk

Apr 20, 2012

it was ok
Read from April 20 to 22, 2012

It seems like once in a while I get into a conversation with someone about books and they tell me I absolutely HAVE to check out Chuck Palahniuk. I keep not doing it, and in looking for something to read this week I saw this on the shelf, read the description and thought I would finally give him a go. Now having finished it, I can give my first Palahniuk experience a resounding "meh," with a potential shoulder shrug if so inclined. I think I can see why people who are fans of his are fans of his. He offers funny characters and clever musings about this or that. But I'm afraid I don't need a book with at least two chapters devoted to a teenage girls first masterbatory experience (especially when written by a man, which just makes it creepy). And he performs the literary equivalent of Dennis Miller, offering insightful critiques of the socially absurd through equally crass and obnoxious commentary. I have heard there is better stuff by this guy out there, but at this point I'm not putting it high on my list of things to do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Damned.