Laurian's Reviews > Last Rituals

Last Rituals by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: mystery
Read from April 19 to 21, 2012

This is the first book from this author and it is a pretty great first book. I've also read her second book, which is almost as good as this one as well. I actually picked it up when I was at Powells in Portland. I went around looking for it, because this author it pretty hard to find at the local B&N.

This book basically proves that sexual depravity, witches, and murder will sell in any language. Add a strong female protagonist and it has me, at least, sold. It follows Thora, who is a working lawyer mom in Iceland. She gets a referral from a man who she studied with at university. A family has had their son murdered in a strange and unusual way (read: he is missing his eyes) and they aren’t convinced that who has been captured is the real killer. So the exceedingly rich family hires Thora to go back over the evidence.

The reason why I like these books is that so many times the sleuth is someone that I enjoy, but can’t really place myself in her shoes. How many books do you know where a woman is highly educated, and has two children, and she is also kinda mean? Not too many. So while Thora might be Icelandic, and the books stutter a bit with the translation, the main character keeps me going. The plot is also pretty good, and the twists are a bit unpredictable. Overall, I’m pretty sure I’ll be picking up the next in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Rituals.