Scott Clements's Reviews > Calico Joe

Calico Joe by John Grisham

Apr 23, 12

Read from April 20 to 23, 2012

I saw the description, and I knew there would be a lot of baseball. I'm not a baseball fan, but the story seemed right up my alley. I can see how a baseball fan, especially someone in their 50s who loved baseball as a kid would find this to be the best book ever. All the players, announcers, statistics, coaches, etc. of the era are in there.

For me, there was a bit too much baseball (I know, I should have expected it, but there was A LOT of baseball). I would guess that 1/4 of the book was story, and that part of the book was absolutely wonderful. I was fully engaged.

The baseball stuff was really well written, and there needed to be some of it for this type of story, but I found myself a bit bored, and mind wondering.

I highly recommend this if you like baseball. If not, it's still worth a read, but be ready for HUGE amounts of baseball.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Calico Joe.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Robin Garson If you like baseball books, you might want to check out A Pitch For Justice. I enjoyed the courtroom drama very much. It looks at a criminal prosecution against a Phillies pitcher who throws a pitch that hits a batter in the head with fatal results.