Merand's Reviews > Sacré Bleu: A Comedy d'Art

Sacré Bleu by Christopher Moore

U_50x66
Apr 21, 12

If you've never read Christopher Moore - I'm not sure what I can say. A blend of fantasy, realism, history, comedy are the hallmarks of his writing. The first time I read a Moore book (Fluke) I was stunned as I read it. Captivated, slightly disgusted, and unsure of how to take the book. It's made me hesitant to read any others because his books are just plain weird. But I couldn't resist Sacre Bleu due to its art history hook, 1890's Paris setting, and a whole pile of Impressionists to read about.

It was good. Moore is an excellent writer, even if you don't like his style. He really can weave a story. It was a fascinating tale of fantasy and history woven together. Moore admits to taking mighty lengths with history so don't rely on everything he says, but there were some "interludes" that gave the history of the color blue. These were super intriguing and factual.

Much of the language is crude, so if this offends you, beware. But it isn't graphic and I found I could overlook the language to enjoy the rest of the story.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sacré Bleu.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol I've never read Moore...someday!

Merand He is an interesting writer for sure! I didn't know what to think when I read Fluke but I went into Sacre Bleu knowing to expect the absolutely unexpected.