Crystal ♥ RBtWBC's Reviews > Bared to You

Apr 20, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: review-guest-reviewer, request-netgalley
Read on April 20, 2012

I want to give a little warning/suggestion to other readers; do not read Bared to You immediately following the Fifty Shades trilogy (Which I loved.) That was my mistake. Bared to You almost mirrored Fifty exactly. Every-other page it seemed there was a character development, revelation or scene that was akin to what happened in the Fifty Shades books with Ana and Christian. So many similarities that Bared to You lacked originality. I don't want to compare the books, because I don't like to do that, but unfortunately you can't help it here. And that Sylvia Day is such a phenomenal writer, it made this even more disappointing for me.

But despite the monumental similarities, I did like the hero and heroine of the story, Gideon and Eva, individually. They were tortured characters with some fantastic layers that tugged at my heart strings, even the secondary characters were great. Eva and Gideon together though was another story. Their sexual relationship and physical chemistry was off the charts hot, and I'm talking having a change of panties on hand is a must hot, outside of the bedroom their relationship fell flat though. It lacked depth, an emotional connection and believability. I just couldn't buy into it. The story itself did move at a good pace with a fast, steady flow but overall this one just wasn't for me. I'm not sure if I would pick up the next book; I'm curious to see if I'll have the same feelings for it or if the author will switch it up a bit and make the story her own but I don't want to read the same thing over again.

I will say though, if you haven't read the Fifty trilogy (or read it recently) and enjoy erotic romance with tortured characters, smoking love scenes and don't mind a history of sexual abuse between both of them and the issues that brings up, you might want to give this one a try and form your own opinion on it. It was a quick read despite it's 300+ pages and I was able to finish it in a day.

You can check out Fiona's full review of this title at Reading Between the Wines. She has a different view on it from someone who hasn't read the Fifty trilogy yet. ;)
36 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bared to You.

04/20/2012 page 300
83.0% "It was not a good idea to read this book right after the Fifty Shades trilogy...way too many similarities." 1 comment

message 1: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer seriously? That is awful. Thanks for the heads up.

message 2: by Crystal ♥ RBtWBC (last edited Apr 20, 2012 05:28PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Crystal ♥ RBtWBC That is the way I felt. For instance; history of abuse - check, self-esteem issues - check, controlling & possessive hero - check, jealous heroine - check, Wealthy male lead - check, Male lead that dropped out of college to start his own multi-million dollar business - check, ex's popping up - check, male friends that overstep - check. Also there were scenes from Fifty as well, one where the hero surprisingly removes the heroines make-up. The heroine runs from the hero here too. There was a ton, it was kind of frustrating and disappointing. I shouldn't have read them back to back, that was my bad, but I didn't know it would be like that!

message 3: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer Holy Cow that sounds exactly the same as Fifty Shades. I think I will take your advice and wait awhile. Thanks.

Crystal ♥ RBtWBC Yes, it was quite frustrating while reading. I was like, didn't I just read this? lol
I would say try it out after a while, it was really hot but that's about all it was for me unfortunately.

message 5: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer thanks.

message 6: by Melisa (new)

Melisa Hamling I try not to comment, but I have to agree. This reads like a Fifty Shades knock off. At 10% I decided to skip ahead, but couldn't bring myself to read anymore.

Crystal ♥ RBtWBC I never told others not to read this title, I state "...do not read Bared to You immediately following the Fifty Shades trilogy." as a suggestion and warning. A bit of a difference. Which I think is fair. I also state towards the end of my review "... you might want to give this one a try and form your own opinion on it." Because I understand that everyone has their own likes and opinions. Which is essentially what a review is, someone's opinion and this is mine. I don't feel that there is anything in my review that bashes the author, I like Sylvia Day very much, as I stated this one just didn't work for me and I explain my reasons why. Which, if you are going to give your public opinion on something you should always state your reasons why. To my experience, most people looking for a book and opinions on it look for more that just 'I like this or didn't like this.' They want to know why you do or don't.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, you don't have to like it but you should respect it.

message 8: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer Crystal did not say don't read it. She suggested I wait a while because she felt this book and fifty shades are too similar and we tend to agree on books so I decided to wait. She didn't make me or tell me not to read it. Plus we all have to make the decision to read or not to read a book and putting the blame on someone else is just silly. No one made me do anything. Even if they said "you should not read this" I still have a choice.

message 9: by Pixie (new)

Pixie Alexandria, their comments didn't seem harsh at all.They were just explaining the review and answering the question you asked. As an author myself, personally I wouldn't care if a reviewer said "don't read" because that's life. It's not going to stop me from writing, just like it really wouldn't stop people from reading the work.
Reviewers shouldn't have to sugar coat their reviews out of fear of "offending" the author. They're entitled to their opinions like everyone else.
Like your comment above, yes you do need thick skin like an armadillo if you're going to be an author (and that's a general statement to all authors, not you personally).

Crystal ♥ RBtWBC Pixie Whitfield Alexandria, "They were just explaining the review and answering the question you asked."

Yes, that was exactly what we were trying to do. Thank you Pixie. :)

Being harsh wasn't our intention at all, Alexandria. And of course you are always free to ask questions.

Kristin (KC) I am almost finished reading 'Bared to You' RIGHT after finishing the Fifty Shades trilogy, and I completely agree with you... I should have waited. I enjoyed fifty shades so much that when I picked up Bared to You- I was actually looking for more fifty. Which actually isn't fair to the book! I definitely should have cleansed my palette, so to speak, and I may have been able to appreciate 'Bared to You' a bit more. Very insightful review! :)

message 12: by Jes (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jes Young I also just finished reading 50 Shades (who hasn't?) and although I agree that there are similarities I found Bared to You to be written so much better.

ALM188 Jes I completely agreed with you. I read the Fifty Shades trilogy and Bared to You all in the same week. For those wanting an edited and semi well-written novel I would suggest immediately moving on to Bared to You. I liked this story and the story felt more real. It has nothing to do with BDSM and while there are similarities between the two books, I don't feel Day's novel is a copy off of Fifty. There are so many books that feed off one another and glean imagination from books around them. I just think that is what happened here. It is no Fifty, and that is a good thing.

Carol Crystal ♥ RBtWBC wrote: "Pixie Whitfield Alexandria, "They were just explaining the review and answering the question you asked."

Yes, that was exactly what we were trying to do. Thank you Pixie. :)

Being harsh wasn't o..."

Even if it was harsh (I don't agree with it, because it was not), it is not anyone's business...Last I heard, goodreads was made for us to give our OPINIONS about the books. We all have the right to state our opinion on reading or not reading the books...I know authors have a lot of work to write and publish their books, but the instant they put the books out for us to read, they're subjected to our opnions, negative or not. So, Alexandria if you're expecting that people only write good review about other people works, that's just naïve. Just because you're an author yourself, you should know to accept criticism, and I'm only stating my opinion in here. I agree with Crystal, I don't think people should read Bared to You after Fifty Shades, and I read the trilogy last year!!! I just think that because Bared to You had so many "similarities" it was a little ruined for me, that's the reason for the 2 stars, because I actually liked the story, I was just disappointed by its lack of originality.

Soxie Yes it had a lot of similarities to 50 shades but then a lot of books have similarities weather it be vampires to angels , they are saying 50 shades is a fan fiction of Twilight ( not that i can see it) but all in all i enjoyed both 50 shades and this, once i got past the bad writing of 50 shades but if i had to chose between the pair i would say Bared to you tops 50 shades.. Just my opinion

Shannon I am looking for a great book to read like 50 Shades of grey. Any suggestions? :)

Sara (Just Another Story)  Walker I love that you weren't to thrilled with this one but liked the 2nd one better, where as I enjoyed this one and HATED Reflected in You. It enraged me.

Crystal ♥ RBtWBC I have noticed that, Sara! A lot of fans of the first book didn't much care for the second. It's still not a series that I can really say that I 'like' but I am most definitely hooked.

Violet I read 50 shades over a month ago and could see the similarities at times but because I didn't read the books back to back, I enjoyed the book.

I agree with your recommendation to not read them back to back.