Jean-Luc's Reviews > 32 Fangs

32 Fangs by David Wellington

Oct 15, 2012

Read in May, 2012 — I own a copy

If Twilight was your idea of a good vampire book, DO NOT READ THIS, it will make you sad.

In my review for the previous book, 23 Hours, I said it's OK if you haven't read the previous books. It's still true. The main characters repeat the mythos to each other and to themselves often enough that the reader will never feel out of the loop.

Even better, we get the backstory to the main vampire, Malvern. You won't sympathize with her, but you will understand that there's more driving her than blodolust. Malvern is no fool; she makes an absolute mockery of law enforcement's plans. Her forward thinking is a perfect mirror to the lead US Marshall's lack of.

In addition, Caxton's ex Clara Hsu is here. She makes a mockery of Caxton's plans through tremendous incompetence. In the previous book, she isn't a drag on everyone around her, so I was surprised by how badly I wanted to slap her. And Caxton too, whenever she was interacting with Hsu.

There's lots of blood but, as with the previous 3 books, Wellington simply cannot make it as gory as the 1st. I wonder why that is?

It's a decent end to a great series, and I'm sorry to see the author is done with vampires. (For now?)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 32 Fangs.