Sher's Reviews > La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life

La Tartine Gourmande by Béatrice Peltre

Apr 20, 2012

Read from April 20 to July 03, 2012

Book 41 2012 Reading Challenge. I took two months to savor this cookbook, and I enjoyed every bite! Oops, I mean page. :)
My mother, who is a wonderful cook, looked through this book and told me she "didn't like it." "I wouldn't make anything in there." I think mom missed the point. Beatrice Peltre is French and her cooking has a heavy French influence (though she now lives in the US with her husband and young daughter) - for example the book is filled with tarts and dishes most beautifully presented by using a mandoline. Some of the recipes are quite unusual. Still I have marked roughly 30 recipes I plan on trying-- even if I substitute some ingredients. But, it is the spirit of this book that absolutely shines. "Like every cook, I have my own style; I shape with my soul and the things that matter to me (Pelter 5).

Two weeks ago I had a good friend stay over with me at the farm, and the meal I made for her was pure La Tartine Gourmande inspired. My own recipe for sauteed coriander lime shrimp and a rice noodle salad with vegan deep chocolate brownies for dessert. The presentation and the flavors --fantastic. Like Beatrice Peltre's meals mine got oohs and ahs too. Besides inspiring me to create, this book gets a 5 star, because the photographs (taken by Pelter) are enchanting and haunting. I spent much time studying her photo presentations of the recipes. Her technique of partial focus lends magic to an apricot tart laid upon cheesecloth with a glimmer of gingham background. And, finally, it is Peltre's wonderful storytelling that captivated me fully. Each recipe comes with a short essay about where the recipe came from, and each chapter presents a background of family, friends, and food I found irresistible.

The first recipe of hers I will try is Cherry Clafoutis, which I will make using fresh Bing cherries for Bruce for Fourth of July-- that and simmered sausage in sauerkraut and apples with a kale salad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read La Tartine Gourmande.

01/29/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim I must check out this book. Only yesterday I bought two new cookbooks and my cookbook bookcase is already severely overcrowded. *sigh*

Sher Kim wrote: "I must check out this book. Only yesterday I bought two new cookbooks and my cookbook bookcase is already severely overcrowded. *sigh*"

If you find it, Kim, please let me know your experiences with the book. :)