Randy's Reviews > Middle School Is Worse Than Meatloaf: A Year Told Through Stuff

Middle School Is Worse Than Meatloaf by Jennifer L. Holm

Jan 05, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: realistic-fiction, ya, 2012
Read from April 20 to 25, 2012

Ginny has problems like any other grade 7 girl. The interesting thing about this book, is the way she tells the reader about her problems. Through a variety of pieces of writing from shopping lists, to sticky notes, to report cards and notes sent home from school, we learn of Ginny's problems. Her mom's new marriage, her brother's increasing delinquency, right up to her own dramatic drop in school.

I picked tho shook up because the title was intriguing and the style in which the author approached the storytelling was so unique.

I finished it more because I wanted to see the variety of different forms of writing used, so I could use this to build a writing unit for next year.

I would recommend this to Jasmine. She likes this kind of story, and would perhaps appreciate the different forms of writing used within the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Middle School Is Worse Than Meatloaf.

04/20/2012 page 14
11.0% "The format of this book is giving me ideas for next year. That it tells a story at the same time, is quite interesting."
04/24/2012 page 46
36.0% "This is a really interesting way of telling the story. so many different types of writing!"