Summer's Reviews > Eve

Eve by Elissa Elliott

May 29, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in May, 2012

This is a story of Eve of Adam and Eve of the Garden of Eden. The author herself says that after researching she doubts whether Adam and Eve were actually people but more of a myth and a myth of the Hebrew people, the 1st Hebrew people, not the 1st humans on the earth. With that said, she does an incredible job of portraying Eve's character and relating to the characters understood to be in the first chapters of Genesis. Furthermore she does it in an honorable way to the belief of the Jeudo-Christian culture.

I found it fascinating as Eve depicted her life in the Garden of Eden with God, the serpent and Adam. Then onto the tragic day of their expulsion from it. Eve's thoughts on God have depth and insight that I have to admit I was not expecting. I found myself thinking on what she mentioned long after listening. I have always wondered how might've Eve lived without humans to support her, besides Adam? This book does a good job of dealing with other questions like this. There are thoughts on God making a companion for Adam and how that changed his relationship with God. How often I think of this myself!

It also delves into the reason and characters that were Able and Cain and what "led up to" the death of Able. The story is told from four different perspectives, giving the story a layered scope. I really enjoyed this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eve.