Abby Winship Hoyos's Reviews > Boleto

Boleto by Alyson Hagy

Jun 17, 12

Read from April 20 to June 14, 2012

Boleto is divided into three parts. I think that each part has the potential to be a really good story and that all three parts could be connected to make an incredible novel. As it is, I felt unfulfilled by each story and the book as a whole was weakened by the connections that weren't made.

The synopsis tells us that this is more than just the story of a man and a horse. While this is true, I feel as though the scenes with Boleto, as she comes to be called, are very short and not very interesting or meaningful. Other human characters take on a little more depth, yet their stories are also presented too shortly. The reader is given plenty of material for imagination, but at the expense of having a less powerful narrative within the novel.

Lastly, dialogue with no punctuation does not read very smoothly. The dialogue of the Latinos in the novel seems to lack research into what grammar Hispanic speakers of English actually use, which employs more caricature than this reader was comfortable with.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boleto.

04/20/2012 "I won the Goodreads Giveaway! Now I'm waiting for the book to arrive in the mail."
05/05/2012 "Boleto came in the mail this week. I hope to read it in the next month."