Jean-marcel's Reviews > Less Than Zero

Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis

M 50x66
Apr 20, 12

I guess this book could be profound for people who don't already realise that most people are shallow, the things most often sought for in life are actually pointless, and the existence of a spoiled rich kid probably consists of nothing more than a series of vacant, hollow events. I would prefer something more substantial. I don't expect a novel to come up with the solution for people like Clay, but I can't endorse something that, in its attempts to show the shallow emptiness of things, proves to be shallow and empty in its own way. The moment I rolled my eyes and just wanted to get on with it so I could be finished with the damn thing was probably the bit where Clay walks into a bathroom and sees a mirror with the words "help me, I'm lost" written on it or something. Is it possible to be any less subtle? There is a huge amount of literature written about the follies of decadent, dead 20th/21st century existence, much of it full of clever writing and worthy cogitation. Don't waste your time with this crap.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Less Than Zero.