Michelle's Reviews > Social Suicide

Social Suicide by Gemma Halliday

5281931
May 17, 12

bookshelves: contemporary, crime, mystery-thriller, young-adult
Read in April, 2012

Rating: 3.5

I really enjoyed reading the first book in Gemma Halliday's Deadly Cool series, and couldn't wait to start this one. Halliday's writing is fun and fast paced and her characters are smart and engaging. There is just enough depth to her books to be taken seriously, but they are quirky and light-hearted enough to be good "junk-food" reading. Social Suicide came through for me on all of those points.

The mystery was just as twisty and fun this time as it was in Deadly Cool. Hartley was just as tenacious and smart-mouthed, and Chase was even more adorable. Sadly, though, this book didn't satisfy quite as much as the first. Deadly Cool felt fresh, whereas Social Suicide was occasionally a little too Deadly-Cool-Take-Two. It made sense in the context of the story for Hartley to keep secrets from Raley in Deadly Cool -- what with trying to clear Josh's name and all -- but it just made bad situations worse for absolutely no reason in Social Suicide. It was also reasonable to keep Chase at a distance in the first book; not so much here. I don't understand why he wasn't a little more involved. It all too often felt like a rehashing of ground already covered; and the plot and characters both suffered by not being allowed to move forward. Also, the references to pop culture and modern technology that were so seamlessly woven into the first book felt a bit more clumsy this go around -- more like loaded name dropping than casual references.

Even though it didn't quite live up to my expectations, I still had a great time reading Social Suicide. I will keep the series in mind for those times I want a light, fun read with a smart protagonist and a good who-dun-it. (Which I actually want quite often.)

This review also appears on Chronicles of a Book Evangelist; I purchased my copy from Barnes and Noble for Nook.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Social Suicide.