Samantha Meyer's Reviews > Washington at Valley Forge

Washington at Valley Forge by Russell Freedman

F_50x66
Apr 22, 12

bookshelves: eced-221

Summary
Washington at Valley Forge by Russell Freedman is the story of George Washington and his troops at a pivotal part of the Revolutionary War. The troops had just spent a freezing winter in Valley Forge with little or no clothing, shelter and food. The book gives a history of the whole war and includes quotes and pictures throughout the story. We learn about three men in the army and their lives which helps draw you into the story.
Critique
This book serves to teach about George Washington and the Revolutionary War in a way that makes it more than just something/someone in a history book. The stories and accounts about George and his men make the story personal. The writing style was informative but styled in a way to not make things seem boring. The paintings and engravings shown in the book were relevant and engaging.
Response
I was enamored by this book. I would use it in a unit on the revolutionary war from the American side and I would use it for personal information about George Washington. I couldn't put this book down and I don't think that my students will be able to either.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Washington at Valley Forge.