Jon O's Reviews > Slant: A Novel

Slant by Timothy  Wang

Apr 20, 2012

bookshelves: coming-out, gay, humor, favorites
Read from May 13 to 14, 2012 — I own a copy

As I was going through the book, there were so many emotions and feelings aroused by the writing that I was determined to write a good review for the book. Now I doubt that I am able to produce a proper review to show my admiration for Timothy Wang's work. This book stands among one of the best books I have picked up for reading.

I am not an American Chinese. Still, Timothy was able to make me feel his feelings of being an Asian and also gay, as in being a second class American citizen in the gay or non-gay community. The things he said through James felt so real. Discrimination exists no matter how much we try to deny. Even when people try to tip-toe around the obvious, it is clear that race is an issue when the minority stands out in parties, dinner or any other social events. And it felt true that no matter how the other reacts, Asians would be picking up whatever tones that would be felt as racism.

The ending to the novel left much to be admired. I wanted a happy ending, but I was willing to accept the way Timothy had chosen to draw the line.

This is such a good book that I have to scream out aloud, to let people know. Can't wait for his next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slant.

06/02/2016 marked as: read