Heather's Reviews > Edge of Light

Edge of Light by Cynthia Justlin

Apr 20, 12

bookshelves: ebooks, netgalley
Read from April 23 to 28, 2012

Jocelyn is in Cambodia, trying to find out the real story behind what happened to her father, and to hopefully bring her father's remains back with her. While in Cambodia, she and her team are unexpectedly attacked, and Jocelyn is taken hostage. She finds herself in a stark prison cell, frightened and confused, but realizes that she isn't alone, as someone resides in the cell next to her.

Oliver has been held captive for two years, regularly beaten and tortured, and he is half the man he once was. But the voice of the woman in the cell next to him stirs something in him, and the man he used to be lies just beneath the surface, waiting for the opportunity to rise again.

This is one of those strange books that is hard to classify. It was an "easy" read-- after all, it is a modern-day romance novel. However it is intermingled with brutality and violence in a way that can be a little unsettling.

Additionally while I know that there is a certain degree of "suspension of disbelief" needed for most fictional stories, I had to really extend myself with the romantic plot line in this book. I think I am too rational and realistic to be able to lose myself in romance anymore. My mind is always thinking, "Oh, come on! In real life, this could never work out! Keep your heads on straight! You can't build a relationship on such a traumatic experience! Don't make any foolish commitments without years of therapy!"

My final word: If you can handle the brutality, and the uncomfortable mixing of violence and romance, go ahead and give this one a go. It's a fast read, and an interesting take on everyday romance. I'd give it 3 1/2 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Edge of Light.