Shannel's Reviews > Rules of the Game

Rules of the Game by Sandy James

Apr 24, 12

bookshelves: smut-monday-esqe
Read from April 21 to 22, 2012

This was such an unexpected gem for me. Though my feelings didn’t necessarily start out that way.

This was another Smut Monday Club find, though I’m on the fence of really defining it as hardcore smut (compared to some of our other reads).

Tragedy struck Maddie’s life at a young age when a drunk driver took the life of her older brother, Jack. Using her grief as a motivator, Maddie throws herself into her work publishing romance novels. On the outside, she creates a pseudo-self, Kathryn West and uses her to hide from her grief.

When her high school reunion invitation comes in the mail, Maddie decides that her Kathryn persona is going to go in her place. But Kathryn needs a partner in crime.

Kathryn needs Scott Brady.

Scott Brady is everything she’s looking for in an escort. He’s witty, rugged-looking and drives a bad boy Harley.

“An escort? A pretty girl like you?” That was it. I was taking him home and handcuffing him to my furniture.”

Scott just might be one of my new book boyfriends. This man has more one-line zingers than I do and that’s an accomplishment in itself! He’s an absolute sweetheart and would do just about anything to protect and make Maddie happy.

Maddie aggravated me a lot of the time. But as much as I wanted to hate her character, I admired her. Her emotions were so raw and it was easy to see just how damaged she was. You learn just want kind of skeletons she’s been carrying around with her and it takes being with Scott for her to start dealing with them.

He slowly removes her burdens and it is so endearing watching him fall in love with her. He says and does everything right.

And she still pulls away.

If I had been her friend I would have smacked her. But no matter how much she pissed me off, my heart broke for her. She knew she was being crazy but she was drowning in her grief and couldn’t see the error in her ways.

This was an excellent read. A true love story with all of the raw edges we all love to hate. And I would recommend this to anyone, in a heartbeat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rules of the Game.

04/21/2012
30.0% "Ok, VERY curious...what exactly does he do??"
04/22/2012
70.0% "Gahh. IDIOT."
04/22/2012
70.0% "Gahh. IDIOT." 4 comments

message 1: by Sandy (new)

Sandy James What a wonderful and thoughtful review!! Thank you so much!! :)

Shannel Welcome! :)

♥Rachel♥ Awesome review Shannel! Haha, we picked the same quote! I ended up really liking this one too even when I wanted to strangle Maddie sometimes. You're right, she knew she was in the wrong & her emotions were getting the better of her. Thank goodness she came to her senses! :)

Shannel Thank you! And we did! Smut minds think alike ;).

Thank goodness indeed! This was a such a good Monday pick!

♥Rachel♥ I agree, Shannel. It was a little different than our usual pick which was nice for a change. :)