Dachokie's Reviews > Acoustic Rooster and His Barnyard Band

Acoustic Rooster and His Barnyard Band by Kwame Alexander

Apr 20, 2012

bookshelves: daughters-library

Simply Irresistible ...

This review was reviewed as part of Amazon's Vine Program.

Longing to get my young daughters involved in music, I thought ACOUSTIC ROOSTER AND HIS BARNYARD BAND might be a fun way to approach the subject of Jazz music. Truth be told, I probably enjoyed the book as much as they did.

Oversized and full of vibrant and entertaining illustrations, ACOUSTIC ROOSTER AND HIS BARNYARD BAND is a simple story of a bass-playing rooster whose desire to be a star leads him to form a Jazz band comprised of other musically-inclined animals in order to compete in a talent show. The rooster's quest to recruit band members has him interacting with other Jazz-playing animals like "Mules" Davis, Ella "Finchgerald", "Bee" Holliday and "Duck" Ellington. The rhyming storyline is both fun and educational as each page introduces a barnyard version of a Jazz legend or an element of Jazz music. The hilarious, colorful illustrations complement the storyline perfectly and are sure to capture the attention of both child and adult alike. The end of the book includes a glossary of Jazz terminology as well as a brief entry on the real Jazz legends alluded to in the book.

I was more than impressed with every facet of this book ... the characters, the story and the graphics are superb and it was fun to read. This book gets a permanent place in the home library. I would love to a series of music genres covered by the same author and illustrator.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Acoustic Rooster and His Barnyard Band.