Teresa's Reviews > Vía Revolucionaria

Vía Revolucionaria by Richard Yates

Nov 08, 12

bookshelves: classics, 20th-century, north-american-lit
Read from November 02 to 07, 2012 — I own a copy

Just finished the book, I'll give it a mark later because right now I'm too emotionally saturated.
This book, it's so brilliant (and very depressive, be sure to be in a good mood when you start reading it). I wish I had read it in English as I found Yates' prose so powerful... The bit about how humans try to give a sense to their lives through a measure of time... Amazing.
Of course the whole story is incredible. How it tackles the issue of the not-that-dreamy American Dream. And what was a relationship between a couple, what women were subjected to, what me were expected to do. Reading Frank's and April's interactions... It seemed more like a well-calculated scheme, a game of strategies and retaliations, rather than a loving and healthy relationship.
I don't think they were in love with each other and, even if they were, it is obvious that the life they were forced to live made their chances of being moderately happy impossible.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vía Revolucionaria.

Quotes Teresa Liked

Richard Yates
“Synchronize watches at oh six hundred' says the infantry captain, and each of his huddled lieutenants finds respite from fear in the act of bringing two tiny pointers into jeweled alignment while tons of heavy artillery go fluttering overhead: the prosaic, civilian-looking dial of the watch has restored, however briefly, an illusion of personal control. Good, it counsels, looking tidily up from the hairs and veins of each terribly vulnerable wrist; fine: so far, everything's happening right on time.”

Richard Yates
“Our ability to measure and apportion time affords an almost endless source of comfort.”

Richard Yates
“It's a disease. Nobody thinks or feels or cares any more; nobody gets excited or believes in anything except their own comfortable little God damn mediocrity.”

Richard Yates
“You want to play house, you got to have a job. You want to play very nice house, very sweet house, then you got to have a job you don't like. Great. This is the way ninety-eight-point-nine per cent of the people work things out, so believe me, buddy, you've got nothing to apologize for.”
tags: life, work

Richard Yates
“No one forgets the truth; they just get better at lying.”

Richard Yates
“The hell with "love" anyway, and with every other phony, time-wasting, half-assed emotion in the world.”

Richard Yates
“Being alone has nothing to do with how many people are around.”

Richard Yates
“You're painfully alive in a drugged and dying culture.”

11/02/2012 page 12
show 5 hidden updates…

message 1: by Nimbex (new)

Nimbex La película me gustó bastante aunque las críticas decían que el libro era mucho mejor, ya me contarás :)

Teresa Me ha gustado un montón!! La película no la he visto, pero el libro es genial, muy duro por eso.