Sesana's Reviews > Death Note, Vol. 13: How to Read

Apr 20, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: comics
Read in July, 2012

This is called volume 13, and an encyclopedia for the series. It isn't really either. It's more like a set of DVD special features. Worth reading? Actually... yes, at least in part. The character profiles that start the book have very little new information to add, but L.'s does include his real name. The creator interviews that take up much of the space are actually really informative. There's a detailed timeline, a complete set of all the Death Note rules, and answers to most of the questions a reader could have at this point that does have an answer. At the end are a series of (only vaguely amusing) four panel comics, and the original pilot chapter of Death Note. It's hugely different in tone, and I have to say that I'm very glad of the changes that were made. I don't know if I'd have read past the first volume if it had stayed like the pilot. My favorite part, though, was Ryuk's sarcastic commentary. For a fan, this is a must-read, but I'd say anybody who read the entire series should at least skim over the creator interviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Note, Vol. 13.