Brandy Painter's Reviews > Ready Player One

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Apr 20, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, science-fiction, young-adult, adult-fiction
Read in April, 2012

I really enjoyed this one. It was a little technical in places for me. My computer technology savvy is just enough to get me through the day to day things required for modern life. Also I'm not at all a gamer so this was a different sort of world for me to step into. I loved the concept though and felt it was executed really well. The future world represented here is one I can buy into. It is one that could most certainly happen. Wade is a character I felt I knew and came to care about despite feeling bogged down by his exposition in places. I also enjoyed all the 80's pop culture references as I was a little kid during the 80's. I think this is going to make a most excellent movie assuming they cast it correctly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Beth Has it been optioned?! I didn't know that!

And I'm glad you liked it :D

message 2: by Brandy (last edited Apr 20, 2012 05:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brandy Painter It has! The screenplay is getting a rewrite from what I understood in an article I read but it was optioned before the book came out. :)

I checked because I was telling my husband about it-I thought he would be interested in this concept and he said that it sounded like a movie he would want to see but not necessarily a book he would want to read. I'm like, Why can't you do both? Sometimes I just don't get that man.

Beth Interesting. Hmmm.

HA! It depends on preference. I can see it working well as a movie, because so much of it is visual.

Lisa Brandy, are you surprised you liked this book as much as you did? I ask because I was completely surprised that I liked it. I didn't want to read it. This book is not something I would chose to read, but it kept showing up over and over in my life and all things pointed toward the positive. I was prepared to dump it after trying it but enjoyed it a lot. I think it is improperly marketed to gamers. I'm not a gamer and still enjoyed it.