Erica's Reviews > Gifted

Gifted by Liz Long

Apr 20, 2012

Read in April, 2012

Before I review, you must know something about me. I have a whole collection of books I've started reading and never finished. My attention span is quite short, so if a book doesn't suck me into the story almost immediately, I move on to something else. Life is too short to read bad books.

I was captivated in the first few pages. The story doesn't start off slow and ease you into this supernatural world. It assumes you're an intelligent reader who can figure it out as the story moves along. I love that.

One thing I really like is that the love story/love triangle part of it is really secondary to the main story. While I can already hear the teenage girls battling over Team Gabriel or Team Keegan, it wasn't the main story line at all.

(Okay, even though I said the love story is secondary, I have to say I think I might be Team Gabriel even though Team Keegan makes sense.)

I really like Lucy. She kind of reminds me of a college friend who wasn't, shall we say, very experienced. I think I related more to Delia, Lucy's new bff in the book. I don't want to give too many spoilers as far as the characters' super powers, but I will say that Delia is fun and friendly, and has a really cool "gift."

Another great thing about the book was the balance between the fun, young adult scenes and the dramatic, action-filled supernatural scenes. Like they go to a bar after a show one night to have some fun and you learn a lot about the characters and their relationships with each other. But then, there's a big bar fight with some of the townies that almost reveals them as "gifted." Another example, there's a beer pong party scene where Lucy lightens up and has fun, but soon after the night of partying, one of the circus people is murdered and because Lucy is the new girl with fire power, she has to clear her name and learns a lot about herself and her family history along the way.

The last few chapters were my favorite part - Lucy becomes stronger and learns more about her powers, and thus defeats the bad guy. But I really liked that she didn't do it easily and without help... She still has a lot to learn. It makes her more real (well, as real as a firestarter can be) and gives us something else to look forward to in the next book.

While the story is complete and this book can stand alone, I want more. I want to know more about the Gifted community, Sheffield Donovan and the Donovan Circus, Lucy's family (specifically her firestarter dad), Lucy's friends and their abilities, and Lucy's super powerful firestarter ability. Oh and the love story, of course.

This is an excellent first book by a new author and I'm really looking forward to the next book in the series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gifted.

01/02 marked as: read