Steve Lowe's Reviews > The Last Kind Words

The Last Kind Words by Tom Piccirilli

Jul 06, 12

bookshelves: crime
Read in July, 2012

You there, with that book in your hand. Put that down. Now, pick up this one and resume. No, seriously. You don't want to be reading that, you need to be reading this.

Sometimes you read a book and can just tell the author is trying too hard to make it something more than it is. That is not this kind of book. The Last Kind Words is literary crime fiction that doesn't feel like it's trying to be anything but a great fucking story. There is no frill or filler here, no need to seem smarter than your average hard-boiled thriller. It just is. It's quiet when it needs to be, bloody as hell when the time is right, with enough surprises to keep things skipping along, but not so hung up on the whodunit that the story or the characters get pushed aside.

That's what I love about Piccirilli. He doesn't overplay his hand, he just writes. He doesn't tell you stories, his characters do. This was my fourth or fifth Tom Piccirilli book in the past year or so, and I'm clamoring for more. I look forward to catching up on his entire backlist, even if it doesn't compare to TLKW. Pic currently resides atop my list of favorite authors, cemented there by this book. Start reading this guy, right now. Start with this one, absorb it, revel in it, then go get more.
12 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Kind Words.

message 1: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Thompson All right! Glad to see you're loving Pic's work too, man!

message 2: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Chavez I have a real bad taste in my mouth from "A Choir of Ill Children," I am not sure why but I really didn't like that one at all, am wondering if I would like another one of his... and if so where I would attempt to begin.

Steve Lowe Choir is more atmospheric, southern fried gothic, almost horror. This is straight up crime, noir if you like that genre. If so, definitely get this or The Cold Spot. Or both. TCS has a sequel as well, The Coldest Mile, which I have yet to read but am looking forward to.

message 4: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Chavez Ok, yeah I definitely like that genre. Will have to give Pic another shot. Thanks for the recommendations.