Steph's Reviews > At Love's Command

7019820
Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: m-m-f-erotica-erotic-romances, historical-erotica-erotic-romances
Read from April 27 to 28, 2012

So far, this is my favourite of the Brothers In Arms series. Those familiar with the series know that it is a regency-set menage series (MMF - includes M/M) that sees war veterans seek love in each other and a woman.

One of the aspects I enjoyed the most about this one was the fact that you find out really fast that there are major hurdles to overcome before an HEA is even remotely feasible with this trio.

Within the first few pages, we find out:

- That Ian and Derek have been lovers since the war;

- Ian and Sophie were betrothed to one another when she was but ten years of age in order to assuage his family;

- Sophie has withstood horrible abuse at the hands of her father and brother during her childhood and anxiously awaits Ian to save her from these awful people;

- That now after many years of delay Ian is finally ready to marry and start a new life with Sophie and hopefully Derek; and

- Derek greatly opposes this marriage, becoming increasingly bitter and believing Sophie to be this awful person who's stealing Ian away from him.

As you can see, there's a lot of work to be done before all three can be legitimately happy with themselves as well as together. Each individual character has their own share of issues and baggage, and Kane does a wonderful job by taking the time to really show the reader the root of the respective problems, how its evolved over time, the action plan to finally deal with the problems, followed by its implementation. The growth of each character from the start to finish is amazing. They all retain the little querks you've come to love in Sophie, Ian, and Derek especially, but who they've become individually as well as for each other by the end is a great reward for the reader in my opinion.

All this character development also helps the sex scenes be that much hotter and better throughout. You feel the characters' emotions during these scenes, and at no point did a single sex scene feel flat and unnecessary.

Like I said, this is my favourite of the series so far. I'm reading this series in a very strange order (don't ask - i don't get it myself) but after reading at least half of the series, I enjoyed the characters, the story, the length and its pace, the sex, and the overall level of detail given in all aspects the most in this particular installment.

We also got the opportunity to see other characters that we've come to love from other books in the series, including a couple of chapters dedicated to Very in an effort to help set up for her upcoming book with Wolf and Lord Kensington.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At Love's Command.

04/27/2012 page 214