Elizabeth Drake's Reviews > Gone, Gone, Gone

Jun 03, 13

bookshelves: 2013-books, contemporary-fiction
Read from May 01 to 05, 2013

This and other reviews can be found on Reading Between Classes

Cover Impressions: Meh. Kinda boring.

The Gist: In the wake of 9/11 two boys struggle to make sense of the world and each other. Craig is still in love with his (sort of) ex-boyfriend but, despite himself, is falling for quiet and reserved Lio. Lio is a cancer survivor and still reeling from the loss of his twin brother. The boys cling to one another in tragic circumstances and develop an intense relationship that teaches them about longing and love.

Review: Wow. This one was surprising. The reviews for this one have been fantastic. Nearly everyone on my Goodreads list who has read it, has loved it. And I .... didn't. I just didn't. This is my second foray into Hannah Moskowitz's writing and I think it is just not for me. Her characters are a little too quirky to be real, her plots are a little too plodding to keep me interested and her storylines tend to include elements that make me cringe (though the ones in this particular book were a lot easier to take than in Teeth. Perhaps, I am too mainstream for this type of writing. I feel like I need a pair of ironic glasses and some beat up Chuck Taylors just to understand what message Moskowitz is trying to send in her novels. For example, one character was scared of a sniper, one was not. We have random killings with no real purpose other than to give the two main characters a reason to skip school and then the snipers are caught (in the last line of the book noless) with no clear effect on the plot. I know, I know, the message was about love - but it didn't really feel that way. The two boys just seemed to be playing at love and enjoying a remarkable sense of freedom from parental supervision (what the hell parents?).

Clearly, this book resonated with a lot of people. I think that perhaps my time spent teaching ACTUAL teenagers makes me extra cynical when fictional teenagers seem too mature, too precocious and too intense or damaged.

Teaching/Parental Notes:

Age: 16 and up
Gender: Both
Sex: Kissing, Sex between teenagers
Violence: Sniper shootings (several victims, including children)
Inappropriate Language: Bitch, Shit, Fuck, Slut, Cock, Piss, Jesus Christ, Faggot, Pussy,
Substance Use/Abuse: Smoking
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone, Gone, Gone.

05/01/2013 marked as: currently-reading