Deepak Nare's Reviews > I Hardly Ever Wash My Hands: The Other Side of OCD

I Hardly Ever Wash My Hands by J.J. Keeler

May 21, 12

bookshelves: first-read
Read in May, 2012

Deconstructing all the traditional myths about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, JJ Keeler has boldly presented I Hardly Ever Wash My Hands with stimulating approach and unexpected humor.

OCD is one of the most misapprehended subjects. It is not just about recurring gesticulations including compulsive hand-washing but overactive imagination and obsessive thoughts. Instead of being neat & clean, the author admits to be a bit messy & disorganized. It is the inability of letting a thought go which creates the trouble. Sometimes it can be reasonable as checking the gas or electric equipments over and over again but having the depressing thoughts appended to your brain like burning of your house or the feeling of hurting yourself can make the scenario worse.

This book is a sincere work involving a serious disease but instead of making you squirm it enables the reader to step in the patients mind, understand her better and admire her with grace. Humor with the subtext of heart-wrenching pain is the USP of this book. It provides encouragement to the sufferers of OCD and a better perceptive of it to their family & friends. Every minute detail of author’s thoughts, obsessions and fears let the reader gripped, making it the most empathetic work on this subject ever. Educational and entertaining both at the same instance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Hardly Ever Wash My Hands.