Katrina's Reviews > That Boy

That Boy by Jillian Dodd

Apr 20, 12

Read on April 20, 2012

There's something about this book that makes me feel as if I was getting to know a person. As soon as I closed that final page, and put the book down my desk, it felt like putting a phone down after talking to my best friend for hours on end. It was strange really, because it had been a long time since I felt mawkish at reading books. The last time I felt like I had a stupor sheathing me was after Salinger's Catcher in the Rye.

That Boy had been a wild journey. Wild, in a sense that if the scene portrays humor, it truly is humorous. If serious, it is dead serious, and if it is tragic, it makes the reader feel the tragedy from the book's pores.

Amazing,right?

Although I am not a big fan of fast-paced books that evolves quickly from one period to another, I sill appreciated JJ and how she managed to mature(a bit) from her very first posts to the very last.

May I add, that she is insanely lucky to have two boy best friends who was there with her from the start? Very few people get that luxury. While Phillip might be the friend who oozes self-control and levelheadedness, Danny was the boy who counters that with his hype energy and good football skills.

I have to praise Jillian Dodd on this one because there is not one dull page in this book. Either had me smiling or laughing. Other times, it made me feel like pulling my hair out at some situations where JJ's thinking borders on the irrational side. If the start was a fun read, the part nearing the end was 5 times as exciting. (surprise!)

I think the only thing that I didn't like much maybe, was, once again, the progress of the book and how quick everything was to happen. Like how one moment, she was in this party, then next, her parents are dead. And may I say that when her parents died, I was just a tad bit frustrated at JJ's behavior? She was being immature at some parts, but who can really blame her. She's a teenager.

All those thoughts aside, I better pack it in a nutshell then: This was the best chick-lit I've ever read this year. I daresay, Sarah Dessen, chick-lit queen extraordinaire, might have competition.

Great Job, Jillian! I can't wait to read That Boy's sequel!

4/5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Boy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jillian Dodd Wow. I think you just gave me the greatest compliment I've ever gotten. I'd love to spoken about in the same breath as Sarah Dessen!! Thanks so much for the great review. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. And I promise that you will see a lot more of Jadyn's growth in That Wedding. (Her growth sorta stopped and went backwards after her parent's death.)

Jillian Dodd Also, if you would feel so inclined, I would love for you to post this where ever you purchased the book.

Louisse Carreon I felt the exact same way about feeling like I had known the characters in real life. I honestly felt like I grew up with them myself that it's amazing sort of emotions. Also about the writing differentiations. When JJ cried, I cried. When she's feeling angry, I'm feeling angry. When she's humorous, I laughed. And when she fell in love, I fell with her. It's really an amazing read. :)