Courtney Moffett's Reviews > Sempre

Sempre by J.M. Darhower

May 30, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from May 26 to 29, 2012

If you are looking for a book full of violence and gun-slinging, then this probably isn't the book for you. If you want constant action or adventure, then this may not be the right book either.

This book is a beautifully written book about acceptance and how love can change even the hardest of hearts. Sempre is a book about characters. It's about one girl's journey to find her place in the world. Her place of freedom. It's about a dad's emotional ride to forgiveness. It is about sacrificing your future for a boy in love. Overall, the book is about family.

I don't know that I can actually do this book justice in my review. It isn't a action packed book. But I think that if you allow yourself to be swept up in the characters you will love it. I felt so invested in the characters, lingering on their conversations just to find out something else about them. I flinched when Haven did. I cried when Carmine was hurting. I was angry with Vincent. I hurt with them, I laughed with them. They were complex, just like people, each one with a part of the story that wasn't always clear. Each page was like finding a small fraction of the truth. Each conversation was like finding a piece of the characters hearts and souls. I loved that conversations were interlaced with italian. It made the words mean a little more. The most of this story was character development, where they started they didn't end up. And that was the joy of reading it.

It gives a little hope that people can overcome. For me, that is just what I needed to remember.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sempre.

Quotes Courtney Liked

“Colpo di fulmine. The thunderbolt, as Italians call it. When love strikes someone like lightning, so powerful and intense it can’t be denied. It’s beautiful and messy,
cracking a chest open and spilling their soul out for the world to see. It turns a person inside out, and there’s no going back from it. Once the thunderbolt hits, your life is
irrevocably changed.”
J.M. Darhower, Sempre

“Go for it, while you can. I know you have it in you. And I can't promise you'll get everything you want, but I can promise nothing will change if you don't try.”
J.M. Darhower, Sempre

“You come here because you wish to find your faith again. You can't fool God, either. He knows everything, and it's okay, because He'll forgive you. The question is whether you're ready to be forgiven”

05/26/2012
10.0% 12 comments
05/27/2012
30.0% "uh, i love carmine... somewhere deep down inside... i need more off time."
05/29/2012
80.0% "oh no... carmine, really??" 3 comments
05/29/2012
100.0% "review to follow... have a lot to let settle before I can begin to write about it"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Nice review!! Glad you loved it. Good luck slipping into your next book..haha