Ayza Omar's Reviews > I Married You for Happiness

I Married You for Happiness by Lily Tuck

Apr 28, 12

Read from April 20 to 28, 2012

I've been searching for this book. Tried very hard to find a free online version. Finally bought it on Kindle. I came across some excerpts from it a few months back. Since then it's been haunting me.

I've never heard of Lily Tuck before but her style of writing suggests that I've been a fool to miss her work all along. Guess that's the benefit of living in a world of nearly 7billion people - you will never run out of writers to fall in love with at first sight.

Looking forward to the ending. Dreading the side-effects this book will have.

Will keep you posted.
_______________________

I wish Tuck hadn't given it this name. To me, it is utterly ironic.

Over all, the writing is clear, crisp, and immensely thought provoking. There are few authors, at least that I have come across, who manage to sweep right into you head and make you feel and see as vividly as the protagonist.

Nina, the narrator of this monologue, spends a night with her dead husband, recalling births, deaths, moments of joy, of uneasiness, of doubts and fears and rarely, moments of happiness.

It's an easy and quick read. some 200 pages. Should be doable in a four hour flight or so.

Warning: it's got lots of french in it. So you might want to be close to a Google translator.

The ending is some what unexpected. However, it didn't carry with it the aplomb, shock and awe that books of such genre manage usually do or with endings like this one, bring. But then nor did the rest of the narrative. There is a complacency, a feeling of sedentary roving thoughts from one chapter to the next. But this , at least to me, isn't a negative thing. It is well placed in the setting of this story.

I was not disappointed by the ending. I think it will bring many to copious tears. It didn't do the same for me however I would still recommend reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Married You for Happiness.