Dani Alexander's Reviews > Dark Lover

Dark Lover by J.R. Ward
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Lover.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

oh my

message 2: by Dani (new) - added it

Dani Alexander Kate wrote: "oh my"

So much hype, I gotta see what's going on. (It has my two of my pet peeves though lol vampires and weird names >8( so it'll be interesting to say the least).

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

message 4: by Dani (new) - added it

Dani Alexander Kate wrote: "They're really popular with lots of folks. Unfortunately I tried reading them after I started reading m/m and I mentally kept slashing the guys and writing out the female characters. I'm hopeless."

Meh, I slash everybody. Even my husband. It's necessary for survival through a lot of het books. *nod*

PS: I'm so glad he doesn't belong to Goodreads LOL

Darkm Dani wrote: "Kate wrote: "They're really popular with lots of folks. Unfortunately I tried reading them after I started reading m/m and I mentally kept slashing the guys and writing out the female characters...."

LOL!!!!!

message 6: by Barb (new)

Barb Gilmour I found it a very hit or miss series -- half of the books are meh. But within that meh is a Qhuay bit which makes up for the miserable read that was Phury's book. Confused o.O

i love Rehvenge, Zsadist and V. Lover Mine was my favourite book so far; but the last one was a close second. And next years Qhuay book will be beyond awesome (fingers crossed); at the very least -- it is hugely exciting that a big mainstream author like Ward, a NY times best seller, is having a book with an m/m couple as her focal point within such a flagship series!!

Carey I REALLY love this series, Qhuinn, V, Rhage and Z are my favorites. The fact that Qhuinn and Blay's book is next is a reason in itself to read this series, this is the series that got me to read my first m/m book and I will be forever grateful :)

Stephanie Then there's the Butch and Vishous love affair. Two Brothers who are carrying on a sexual relationship behind the scenes which she hints to several times in these books and the insider's guide, but she refuses to put down on paper because she may offend her readers (her words).

Nicolette I am really looking forward to the Quinn and Blay book too.

Vishous has always been a favourite of mine but I was really disappointed that when she wrote his book she didn't have enough conviction in not alienating her reader base and therefore toned down elements of his story. Not only did any m/m action happen off the page (if at all) but she went and watered down the BDSM. Why is it that authors like to bring BDSM elements into their mainstream novels only to redeem the "Dom" into not being a Dom when he falls in love? Vishous would never switch, letting go of control is not in his DNA or in any true Dom's DNA. Its a pity she had to write his HEA as the kink being him switching to a vanilla woman. Being Dom to un-Dom after 300 years? Ugh.....

Anyway hoping Quinn and Blay don't have to compromise their sexuality to fit in with her audience in the next book....

Stephanie Nicci wrote: "I am really looking forward to the Quinn and Blay book too.

I so agree with what you said. She did lack conviction. But the Warden did admit that Vishous and Butch are doing it off paper (in her mind) at the Romance Times Convention a couple of weekends ago. She also joked how Butch is getting it regularly from V...lol. This was during the Q&A session with Doc Jess. It's up on YouTube. And yeah, she toned down the BDSM. There is always this fine line authors have to walk when it comes to sexual kinks. I feel it really wasn't her doing but her publisher/editor who had her tone it down. The Warden has a filthy mind that goes with her potty mouth.

She's also admitted she scared to write Quay's book for fear of disappointing the fans. Because WE are expecting full on m/m HOT sex with detailed imagery. Yes, there will be readers offended but too bad. They can choose not to read. :)

message 11: by Dani (new) - added it

Dani Alexander @Barb: Pretty much all series are like that for me--hit or miss along the way. That's good though. It means there's something for everyone =D

@Carey: \o/ I think I'll be grateful for her for that too. More m/m fans is good. More authors writing it with big name publishers is even better!

@Stephanie and @Nicci: I was really disappointed to hear she wouldn't write something just because it might upset people. That's what's kept m/m in the dark corner for so long--authors afraid. There shouldn't be fear in fiction. Unless the book is a thriller.

It can really turn me off an author if I find out they cater to the masses rather than write what's in their heart. If she'd said she didn't want to put it on paper because it made HER feel weird, that's a different story, but to put it on the readers screams of an author who writes to sell books, not to tell stories.

Darkm "She should really take a cue from the early m/m authors and note how brave they were to plow into this field with very buyers.
"

Very true.
But I appreciate that she seems to be writing their story at last (until I have it in my hands I won't believe it).
Recently an author I liked converted her gay character to heterodom, and that completely put me off.
You may be scared to write m/m or not want to, then don't, but don't make him turn hetero, because I think it's offensive.