Shelly's Reviews > Just Imagine

Just Imagine by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Mar 29, 2016

bookshelves: romance-historical
Read from April 19 to 22, 2012

I was a little wary of this one, knowing how much I love SEP's contemporaries, and this was her first book ever, and a historical to boot. I thought maybe she stayed away from historicals because she may not have been that good. Although this is the revised edition of the original edition, called Risen Glory, so I don't know how much she changed to make it better. Even still, I could tell this was a SEP novel. It had all the same characteristics of her contemporary romance books, just the setting and time period were different. The way she describes her characters, their surroundings, the struggles they face, the typical bull-headed hero who somehow I still manage to like, the heroine who's strong and determined, but still vulnerable. All SEP traits, and things that I love.

I know this book got mixed reviews, but I guess I don't see how. If you like It Had to Be You or Natural Born Charmer, how could you not like this one? Unless it's the time period, which I can understand, it's not my favorite to read about. Actually, that's not true, I enjoy reading about history, it's just this time period in the south doesn't mesh well with romance for me. I tend to have a problem with the whole slavery thing, morals and all that. But this book handles it fairly well, even having the heroine, Kit change her tune when she realizes exactly what it meant to be a slave. It does gloss over it a bit, and really over everything of the time period. Without the ward/guardian relationship and Cain controlling Kit's fortunate, it'd have to be spun a little different, but you could almost pick up this story and drop it in a modern context.

I did like Safronia (not sure how to spell it, as I listened to the audiobook) and her struggles as well, that part would not have translated to modern terms so easily. The animosity she has against white men is understandable and I love that Mangus knows her well enough to love her the way she needed. I wish we had learned a bit more about Mangus as well. I especially liked the part where (view spoiler).

At first glance this doesn't seem like typical SEP, but I felt right at home in this story. I went to sleep thinking about them, wondered how Kit and Cain would end up together forever, was amazed at Kit's personal growth, and just enjoyed myself the entire time. I think if you like SEP's traditional romances and don't mind historical settings, you'll like this one as well.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just Imagine.

02/02 marked as: read

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Nice review Shelly,I know when I need a change or "pick-me-up" her books always pull me out of the reading "slump" BTW..I thought "fancy pants" was her 1st book? It said that on the cover I got from the library..but what do they know? and the cover wasnt the older version.

Shelly Thanks Sandi! I wasn't entirely sure, so I just looked it up, I really thought this was her first book. But it turns out The Copeland Bride is her first, co-written with a friend who decided she didn't like writing, and Susan did, so she kept going. Just Imagine as Risen Glory was next, then Glitter Baby and then Fancy Pants. Here's her booklist if that helps! I'm down to only 3 left of hers I haven't read.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Wow I didnt know she wrote The Copeland Bride! Thanks for the info on the line up of her books too Shelly!

Shelly You're welcome!