Katy's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

May 03, 12

Read from May 01 to 02, 2012

3.5 stars - Wow, what an end! Overall, a pretty good book, but boy was it infuriating!

First of all, I LOVED LOVED LOVED Divergent. But I didn't like Tris or Four very much in this book. I don't remember Tris being such a bitch, and I understand that she is Dauntless now, and she has been through a lot, but she is just so mean. And Four has more mood swings than a girl - especially for someone who was so stoic, not in actual feelings but in display of feelings, in the first book. The two made me want to shake them - and not in the "you frustrate me so much you make me hot" kind of way. No, they made me angry in the "why do you keep TRYING to pick a fight with each other" and "why do you two insist on acting so stupid!"

As for the storyline itself. It started a bit slow, and it was a bit confusing as they moved from faction to faction - not because I didn't understand what was going on, but because I couldn't see how things were going to play out in the whole scheme of things. The real action doesn't really happen until much later, and I thought the end was kind of mind-blowing because it was NOT what I was expecting at all.

Setting my frustrations with Tris aside, I did like how the book showed the different sides of her - proving she is a true Divergent, but I still don't understand a few things like what the Divergents' role in how are they supposed to help/hurt the "mission?" I guess this is going to be left for Book 3.

Overall, it was a good book, but not nearly as good as the first book because I felt a lot was going on, and I was am left with so many questions at the end. I know it's trying to lead readers into Book 3, but I was hoping more would have been filled along the way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Catherine I totally agree with you!

Word Traffic Same :)

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I somehow never got around to reading Divergent. Should I wait and read all 3 next year? hmm. I have a feeling Insurgent will have a cliffhanger.

Katy Rebecca wrote: "I somehow never got around to reading Divergent. Should I wait and read all 3 next year? hmm. I have a feeling Insurgent will have a cliffhanger."

What?!? Who hasn't read Divergent?!? LOL, if you like dystopian, you should really give this one a try. I'll have to let you know on whether or not Insurgent has a cliffhanger tonight. :)

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Yeah I seriously don't know how I never got around to it. I have a copy it just got buried in the piles of other books lol. But now that it's been this long I wonder if I should just wait another year and read em all together?

Katy LOL, sometimes I think I'll wait until the next book comes out, but I ened up giving in, especially when these trilogies are extended just one more book.

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Ha if they extend this series I bet a lot of the fans dying to read the ending next year will be a bit mad.

Kayla I know what you mean. She's irritating me and the way she treats Four in this book. Tsk Tsk. No me gusta.

Katy Oh, but I'm only a quarter of the way through. So it doesn't get better?

Kayla She has her moments but she's annoying me. Keeps contradicting herself, mad at Tobias for keeping secrets when she's not telling him anything herself. ¬¬

Anjana LOL, Four has more mood swings than a girl? Hahaha, lol. I can't stop laughing. But yeah, they were pretty annoying in the book.

Signý Tindra I wholeheartedly agree with this review. It was quite disappointing based on how much I loved Divergent :)

Noémy I didn't understand the divergents' mission either...the ending made sense but as far as the divergents were concerned, not so much...don't know if what I just said was clear or not lol, obviously I'm very confused ;D

message 14: by Katy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katy Noémy wrote: "I didn't understand the divergents' mission either...the ending made sense but as far as the divergents were concerned, not so much...don't know if what I just said was clear or not lol, obviously ..."

I know exactly what you mean. It made sense as it was happening, but it didn't make sense because it came from no where. I guess Roth will tie it in for us in the next book.

Sergei Franson Wow, I'm surprised with how many people didn't enjoy Insurgent!!!! I thought it was amazing and had so many good messages and if Veronica Roth ends the series with a bang, will probably be one of my favorite series!!!!

I thought the cliff hanger was perfect too!!!!

message 16: by Katy (last edited Jun 13, 2012 06:39AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katy Sergei wrote: "Wow, I'm surprised with how many people didn't enjoy Insurgent!!!! I thought it was amazing and had so many good messages and if Veronica Roth ends the series with a bang, will probably be one of m..."

LOL, I can't say I didn't like it. I just thought it was really infuriating to read and not nearly as good as Divergent.

Janette I really do agree with you! There was times where I wanted to kick four and tris butt b/c of all the fighting lol

Lauren Collins Agree completely!!

Nigel Theobald Great review sums it up nicely, a very good first novel, kind of let down by a feeling of losing its way, going to need encouraging to read number 3

Pageturner Catherine wrote: "I totally agree with you!"

I kinda do to

Joanna Sugpatan I agree

Vanessa Leite I was looking for some review that would steal the words from my mind and there we go! I totally and absolutely agree with you

Leigh (Little Book Star) I ddnt really like Tris and Four in this book either. They changed so much! Also, I was confused at times for the same reason as yours. Hopefully Allegiant will answer all of our q's.

Carol Benson I think I liked Divergent better because there wasn't so much of this childish immature romance thing going on. I know I have to keep reminding myself "It's YA book!" and they are only 16 or whatever, Four may be older but he acts 16. Also for a supposedly advanced civilization I kept wondering - No cell phones or way of communicating when not in each others presence? Even walkie talkies - anything. It is easy to pick apart on many levels but it was still a quick read and entertaining enough. I guess I'll read book 3, although I'm not in a big hurry.

message 25: by Alanna (last edited Dec 04, 2014 10:38PM) (new)

Alanna Lee I loved Divergent too! But I did like Tris and Four in this book. okay fine I'll admit it; it was only most of the time. Tris wasn't really that bad as you said but I have to agree about Tobias. He did have his moments haha! But I think thats what added onto it and made it interesting. Would you just wanna read a book that was about a perfect relationship with no problems whatsoever? That sounds pretty boring to me.
Yes it was a bit slow at first like when they got to amity farms, but towards the end, it felt more fast paced and all. It was kind of crammed but not to crammed where it gets confusing. I think it was the right amount, and that amazes me and shows that Roth is definately a great writer.
I guess that's the price you get for being divergent, having different sides, but maybe thats why she can't be controlled because you don't know what to expect.
I did have many questions at the end like you did, but not a lot where it frustrates you and you get angered, but luckily for me, I read this after the third book was released, so I could've just picked up the next one and continued. If you think about it, there was a lot going on (especially the end) but realistically, that was a lot to fit in one book so Roth did had to make it "have a lot going on."
Even though this did answer some of my questions from the first book (like what the heck is even going on through this whole thing?), it did spark my interest and make me want to get up and go find the third book. I think it is a good book overall, and it will definantly raise your curiosity for the truth and for some answers.