Wigs's Reviews > Fifty Shades of Grey

4719641
Oct 13, 12

bookshelves: book-clubs-and-buddy-reads, erotica
Read from April 19 to May 13, 2012

You know, I was beginning to wonder if I needed to change some of my two star books to one star. I was thinking that I might not ever personally read a book worthy of one star, and I was messing up my scale by giving some of the more lame books I've read lately two stars instead of one.

Thank you E.L. James, for proving to me there was something worth waiting for. Something that truly exemplifies the meaning of terrible.

Now hold up, all you would-be defenders. I read this whole thing. I did not skip anything, I did not skim, I read every word. I bought this book with the intention of giving it the benefit of the doubt. You see, I love erotica, and I'm not ashamed to say that I both read (as you see on my 2012 books I've already read two others) and write it myself. So I was thinking to myself, oh, maybe there's a possibility that even though this is a twi-fiction rewrite, and even though everyone makes fun of it, it could still be a fun little guilty-pleasure read that I can laugh along with.

This book is NOT:

- erotic/sexy
- funny, even ironically
- endearing
- full of sexual taboos

This book IS:

- repetitive
- plotless (well, you knew that)
- painful to get through
- depicting manipulative, controlling, and self-destructive as desirable
- how to not write a novel
- how to gain success by using other people's characters, barely changing them and then laughing all the way to the bank

Most people know about the twilight matchups so I'm not going to go into too much detail, but it was actually quite sickening, how lazy she was to change ANY story details:

Bella Anastasia, a clumsy girl who grew up in Arizona Las Vegas with her mother, then moved to Forks Vancouver, Washington where her dad stepdad lives, while her mother lives with her new husband in Florida Georgia. She has a younger friend named Jacob Jose with a crush on her, and whose dad is friends with her dad, because they are fishing partners and police force army buddies, and who gave her his old truck VW beetle.

Edward Christian, who is adopted and has a sibling named Emmett Elliott and a sister named Alice Mia, also adopted, who live with their parents Carlisle Carrick (really? CARRICK? We couldn't even change the first three letters?) and Esme Grace. Their father mother is a doctor.

Rose Kate and Jasper Ethan are also siblings in this story, but have been changed to be friends of Anastasia, since in Twilight they already have a convenient different last name than the other Cullens.

Also, he 'dazzles' her.

I can't even function over the fact that upon preparing this book for publishing she couldn't change one fucking thing to make it even remotely different. That was too hard. TOO DAMN HARD. The similarities in character are so untouched that I am sincerely appalled that she thought it 'different' enough to publish as is. It's quite disgusting.

Alright, continuing on, and once again, I'm sure you've heard this already: this book is terribly written. Most notably the lack of ability to describe anything other than the few choice phrases she knows how to type. He ran his hands through his hair. I bit my lip. He told me not to bite my lip. Oh jeez. He grabbed me by the chin to make me look up at him. Holy crap. I peeked up at him. Lather rinse repeat. Over. And over. And over. For 500 pages. Then there's the case of multiple personality disorder, where she hears the voices of two distinct other pieces of herself in her head. The subconscious, the one telling her she's not good enough, and the inner goddess, the one that's all into the sex. It's strange because I'm also currently reading a book right now, Deadline, where the main character hears a voice in his head because he is literally insane, and it's written almost the exact same way, he talks back to his voice, who presents herself in italics, just as Anastasia talks back to her two italics voices. It's funny because she's supposed to be completely normal, and yet shares the same schizophrenic tendencies as a book about someone who is completely insane.

This is sense.

Check out this awesome short paragraph from chapter 24:

“Through the haze of light, I squint and see Christian leaning over me, smiling. Amused. Amused at me. Dressed! In black.”

What are these fragments, four in a row. What is this punctuation. GASP AT HIM BEING CLOTHED. Is this supposed to be poetry?

Let me add some line breaks for poetic interest:

Through the haze of light, I squint and see ,
Christian leaning over me,
Smiling. Amused.
Amused at me.
Dressed!
In black.

That's almost better.

Let's have another, shall we, from chapter 24 once more:

“I didn't put that song on my iPod,” he says casually, and puts his foot down so that I am thrown back into my seat as the car accelerates along the freeway.
What? He knows what he's doing, the bastard. Who did? And I have to listen to Britney going on and on. Who...who?
The song ends and the iPod shuffles to Damien Rice being morunful. Who? Who? I stare out the window, my stomach churning. Who?

SAY WHO AGAIN, BITCH. JUST TRY IT, I DARE YOU.

Okay and now, maybe even worse than the writing (oh hell, nothing's worse than the writing, nevermind) is the lack of plot. Now once again, you already know this. Do I even need to tell you nothing happens? Seeing as it's based off of a book where nothing happens, you can be guaranteed that as we go one step removed, even less happens.

Here is the part where I apologize to Twilight, where I said, in my page by page commentary below, that 50 Shades was more entertaining. I was at the very beginning. I was young and naïve. I didn't realize. I'm sorry.

You know how The Office kind of got bad after Jim and Pam got together, because there was really nothing you were waiting for after that? This happens by like...chapter 2. You're like...okay....what, now we jut have to watch them whine as a couple for the next zillion pages? Okay.

I can't even fathom that there are two other books written about this couple. I literally want to open the window and invite birds to eat my eyes out as punishment for buying and reading this book.

And now for a bit of tiddlybits, I'm going to share some information on storywriting that you guys might find interesting, and will help show exactly why 50 Shades has zero plot.

I went to school for film, and we had story development classes. One thing we were beaten over the head with about is something called the 7 Sentence Story. This will help for any writers that are writing their books to be cinematic or would like their novel to be considered for film purposes (this is by no means a rule, but a really helpful guideline). First, you need a problem, a conflict. A reason to tell a story. Once you have that, your plot should be able to be described in seven sentences thusly:

Exposition: we are introduced to the protagonist and/or main characters
Inciting Incident: something happens that kicks off the conflict, the whole point of the story
Plot Point 1: because of the inciting incident, character sets off to do something/correct the problem, etc
Midpoint: here in film you might see a montage, but it's a place where either plot point 1 is resolved or there is a transition in the characters way of thinking
Plot Point 2: often an even bigger issue arises, or a twist that changes or accelerates the conflict
Climax: final showdown or decisions needed to be made
Resolution.: everything comes to an end, the conflict is settled in one way or another

Basically, if you can tell your story in this way in seven sentences, you'll know that A) the main point is clear, B) that your story doesn't wander too much in different directions, and C) that you actually have a plot to stand on, that you can justify there's enough substance there.

And since that's a lot of vagueness, we'll go with a classic captive/dominant story to show how one tells a story in seven sentences: Disney's Beauty and the Beast. First, the main conflict:

Conflict: The prince has been turned into a beast and has only a limited time left before he is trapped forever as one.

And the seven sentence story:

Exposition: Belle is a smart girl who rejects the advances of Gaston, as she doesn't want to be stuck in a mundane life.
Inciting Incident: Belle's father gets lost and captured by the Beast in his castle.
Plot Point 1: Belle trades her freedom for her father and is prisoner in the castle.
Midpoint: Belle starts to experience feelings for the Beast and is complacent.
Plot Point 2: Belle's father is sick, and the Beast decides to let her go, even though he's giving up his chances of being with her.
Climax: Gaston comes with an angry mob to destroy the Beast.
Resolution: While Beast lays dying, his love for Belle turns him back into a human and he can live with her happily ever after.

Simple, right? Of course, other things happen, but no doubt you can communicate the main story with just these sentences.

Okay, so let's try 50 Shades, which, hilariously, has had its film rights bought already.

Conflict: Anastasia must decide whether to be with a guy who she thinks is super hot but also scares her (This fascinating decision, I tell you what.)

Exposition: Anastasia is a literary student at WSU.
Inciting Incident: Anastasia meets Christian on page 7, and thinks he's hot and mysterious and also frustrating. It is clear they both have chemistry.
Plot Point 1, which is sloppy and all over the place: Christian chases her down, brings her to his house and shows her he's into S&M. Also they have sex.
Sorta Midpoint, but kind of squished close to Plot Point 1: Anastasia must decide whether to pledge herself to him via contract if she wants to continue seeing him.
Plot Point 2: Nah, she's still deciding and whining about how he's kind of scary but continues to have sex with him throughout this whole time. There is no plot point 2.
Climax: Well there isn't really one, it's just kind of an all over the place ending...either the more complicated sex scene at the end with the hymnal music or him hitting with her with the belt the next morning, one of the two I guess...
Resolution: She says he's too weird and ends it.

What a complex, thrilling, and incredible plot full of depth. SHOULD I HAVE CUT THAT FOR SPOILERS? OOPS? Did you even care? If you've gotten this far, nope.

But guess what. We know that there are two other books and they get together and lesson isn't really learned so AWESOME, COOL. I guess that's how she gets people to buy the next ones because hot diggedy I can't wait to see them get back together and whine some more.

And let's talk about the sex for a moment. Nothing forbidden actually happens that you'll be like ohhhh how scandalous I want to try that. For the most part it's pretty much all basic stuff or basic toy play, because basically he's taking it easier on her since she's inexperienced. Except for the belt part at the end, I guess, which just doesn't sound fun.

And you already heard about the tampon, so like, that's not even a surprise (although imo it's not a big deal anyway. Out of all the women having sex on their periods regularly, I can guarantee you there are quite a few men that are tasked with taking the tampon out and throwing it aside. My friend Kim was a big fan of sex-on-period and let me know how carnal and whatever it was, which is fine, who cares.) I was actually more upset about the fact that she is sleeping completely naked in a hotel room bed on day two of her period. As if that isn't going to be a mess in the morning.

Okay lest I go on as long as the book, you get the point. If you want to see more, my commentary while reading it is below. However, a few things:

-I cannot stand how much the author being middle aged shows from the point of view of this 21 year old. “I'm gonna buy plane tickets...on the Internet.” ARE YOU NOW? WHOAOOOAOAOA. Don't get crazy on us, I might be too overwhelmed by this turn of events. “I fired up my email.” BLAZING SPEEDS REQUIRED.

-They actually do the “you hang up” “no you hang up” “no you” that gross couples tend to do. And it was, expectedly, gross.

-Someone on ONTD who liked this book yelled at me because I said that Christian is not a dominant (they also said I wasn't 'experienced enough to understand,' lol okay, like you know who I am, anon.) I still stand by that statement. It's not what he's doing, it's how he's doing it. He is deeply troubled, whiny, and manipulative, and while he does love control, it's for the wrong reasons. He was abused as a child, and sexually abused as a 15 year old and vastly denies it, and because of this he justifies his activities as personal preference when he is in fact a bit too fucked up to currently have a relationship. He ends up making the naïve Anastasia batshit crazy because he continues to string her along, trying to convince her they want the same things, instead of getting himself some help.

-He gives her the illusion that she has the choice to back out, but then turns around and says ha-ha I'm joking but I know where to find you by the way. She goes to visit her mother because she needs a break from him to think, and what does he do? Flies out there, using his roundabout stalker way of finding information about where she's at, like he always does, to meet up, have sex with her and take her out with him. She's supposed to be visiting her mother and having time to think, yet he can't stay away and makes this about HIM, taking her away from time with her mom whom she hasn't seen in 6 months. I can't at this selfish fucking bastard because he just can't stay away.

It makes me mad just thinking about someone that clingy. Which is another thing that pisses me off, almost everything about their whining and relationship conversations reminds me of everything I've hated about past relationships I've had. How does ANYONE enjoy this book? How does anyone think that this is sexy, that this depicts something they want?

I can't even.

I cannot.

(Also I should never have imagined Chuck and Blair from Gossip Girl as the main characters. Now everytime I see a commercial for Gossip Girl, rage courses through my body.)

I'm bored. Someone get me out of here.

P.S. Did you know that James recently stated she's set the bar for writing pretty high?

Cool.

Please, do yourself a favor and go buy a book of much higher quality plot and writing, ohhhh like....Modelland.

04/20/2012 page 49
9.0% "So far it's not as boring as Twilight, entertainment-wise, but the innumerable amount of Twi-matchups she was too lazy to change from the original fanfiction is astounding to me. My brain went into survival mode and I cast Chuck Bass and Blair from Gossip Girl, a couple I ship and love, into the leading roles so I don't have to think about Edward/Bella: " 3 comments
04/21/2012 page 70
14.0% "I literally laughed out loud while I was reading this at the gym today (like I said, more entertaining than Twilight, ha!) And yes the gym, I was on the stationary bike. At least the paperback is small enough that if people aren't looking at you they won't notice. You should have seen me lugging big ol' hardback Modelland to my doctors appointments a few months ago. Oh, the books I choose to read in public..." 6 comments
04/24/2012 page 133
26.0% "Well I find myself agreeing with what others are saying...it's not really so much that he's a dominant as he is a controlling chauvinist. "You must not eat anything but fruit between meals, you must be cleanly shaven everyday, you must regularly go to the salon and get treatments of my choosing"... Fuck you and fuck this shit, I'm eatin' whatever the fuck I want, you just back the fuck down and have a seat." 3 comments
04/26/2012 page 167
32.0% "I'm a tough nut to crack but even I'm raising my hackles at this. Reading through the contract he made is just bothering me so much considering he's rushing her into this shit and she's not even here for that. And with him at the restaurant being like "she'll have a wine" and her being like "um I wanted diet coke" ..."no you'll have the wine" ...Thanks Don Draper lemme just shove this orange sherbet down my throat."
04/26/2012 page 187
36.0% "Okay out of many choices, can I complain about the impossibility of a girl in 2011 graduating all four years of college without ever having possessed an email address, let alone a computer? Um no it's fucking required for most all universities to have student email, certainly WSU. I suppose the author is showing her age here by not realizing that? Lol out of everything I could get cranky about, this tips the boat." 5 comments
04/29/2012 page 230
45.0% "Bored. Clearly she doesn't like what he's doing but she wants to be with him, therein lies the conflict. If she wants a relationship she has to agree to things she doesn't want to do and give up things she wants to have. You should never enter into a relationship with the hope that you can change someone eventually, that is just a terrible decision. Tho I suppose at the end of the trilogy he'll change. Or some shit." 7 comments
04/30/2012 page 269
52.0% "Awkward in context, hilarious out of context: "And...swallowing semen. Well, you get an A in that." I flush, and my inner goddess smacks her lips together, glowing with pride. "So." He looks down at me grinning. "Swallowing semen okay?" I nod, not able to look him in the eye, and drain my cup again. "More?" he asks. "More."" 13 comments
05/01/2012 page 301
59.0% "I TIRE OF YOU BOOK. I COMMAND YOU TO BE MORE INTERESTING. " 3 comments
05/11/2012 page 368
72.0% "Right about now I am HATING myself for being one of those people that can't leave something unfinished once I've gotten this far. Ugh. I can't believe I thought this would even be funny to read. This is just watching two self-destructive people whine and have the same kind of sex over and over."
05/12/2012 page 395
77.0% "Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Did she really just say "You dazzle me"? DID YOU REALLY NOT BOTHER TO CHANGE THIS WHEN YOU CHANGED IT FROM YOUR TWI-FICTION??? Of course not lol this wasn't on your search-and-replace list... " 1 comment
05/12/2012 page 442
86.0% 2 comments

message 151: by Kate (new)

Kate Copeseeley Favorite gif ever, that one of Elton John at the end. And so appropriately used. *applause*

message 152: by Tonya (new) - rated it 1 star

Tonya lmao!! Best. Review. Ever. :-)

message 153: by Ally (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ally So, can you suggest what you think IS a good erotic tale?

message 154: by Wigs (last edited Sep 09, 2012 11:00PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Wigs Hm, well I read these Anais Nin erotica collections earlier this year and really liked them but they're more of an interesting read rather than a masturbate to your book sort of read, lol. Also considering that it's historical (1940s) you have to ignore some of racial remarks.

otherwise I haven't really read any other erotica recently. Hilariously, when I want something specific, I write my own. And never show anyone.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help in that department but it's not a genre I've gone after with any vigor, considering how much bad stuff there is to sift through.

message 155: by Ally (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ally Thanks for taking the time to comment. I was simply curious. I don't normally read erotica. But I've heard so much hype about this book I thought I might read it simply because so many others have been telling me about it. The gambit of reviews go from "Couldn't put it down," to "Absolutely the most horrible thing ever - even WORSE than Twilight!" Ha ha.

Anachronist

I adore your review.

message 157: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I can't believe I think to ask you what Allyson did! Duh! Anyway, I'm glad she did and I'm going to check those out.

I also wanted to say before that I loved your mention of the 7 Sentence story.

message 158: by Michelle (new)

Michelle oops, I can't believe I DIDN'T ask....

message 159: by [deleted user] (new)

I love this review, with the exception of the animated .gif inclusions.

"I literally want to open the window and invite birds to eat my eyes out as punishment for buying and reading this book."

The above quote from the review sums up my feelings exactly.

message 160: by Wigs (new) - rated it 1 star

Wigs i don't use gifs in all of my reviews, but there are some that are just begging for it.

message 161: by [deleted user] (new)

Ha! I understand completely. I just get a little nauseous from the movement is all. :)

message 162: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer thank you! this just made it easier for me not to actually Purchase it!! I did begin to read it as fanfic, but couldn't get past chapter 5, that's says a lot, I hope, as to how I felt about it then... I was truly going to give it a chance, but saw myself finding more and more negative reviews. So again, thank you!

message 163: by Wigs (new) - rated it 1 star

Wigs glad my review does its job! :D Your welcome!

message 164: by Annette (new)

Annette Gisby I love the review, I was never interested in the book as I knew it started as Twilight Fanfic and I have never been a fan of that either. This review has just cemented my decision not to get it. From some of the extracts I've seen I don't think the author understands the difference between dominance and abuse.

message 165: by Wolfkin (new)

Wolfkin um.. link to Deadline please that books sounds interesting. Review is officially helpful.

message 166: by Wigs (new) - rated it 1 star

Wigs it's the second book in the Newsflesh trilogy, and you shouldn't like...read the descrip of the second one if you haven't read the first book, which is here:

Feed

it's a commitment to start, I don't really know how much I recommend it now that i've read the whole series. I feel pretty meh about it.

message 167: by Amy (new) - rated it 1 star

Amy Davis I loved your review if this book.I hear how dirty it was and had a friend telling me to read it that I would love it. however I did not fins this book as good as anyone told me.I did of course read all 3 books because I was hoping it would get better nope never did. loved your review thou you nailed it

message 168: by Bayandur (new)

Bayandur One of the cases when a comment is better literature than the book.

message 169: by Mike (new)

Mike Duron Beautiful review. :)

Tennille Covington Awesome review, but lets not forget all of the Britishisms in this book. Do come in, I grabbed my rucksack, ringing friends on the phone, and watching the telly...what american talks likethat

message 171: by Traci (new) - rated it 1 star

Traci Nicely said!

message 172: by Mad (new)

Mad Would-be defenders? There's actually people who would defend this book? Have they gone nuts? Great review by the way.

message 173: by Lim (new) - added it

Lim Denise Still haven't finished the book and it's been one month, just can't read without drowsing off.....and I can finish books in one day -.-

Kyrianna You know I am now on the third book and I do like the series but I gotta admit the first book is the worst the second and third have a WAY WAY WAY WAY better story line they become more of a thriller than an erotic story. With that said the sex seems really out of place with the thriller aspect. I do like the series over all though.

message 175: by Wigs (new) - rated it 1 star

Wigs lol wait what, a thriller? like how so, what kind of things are happening?

Kyrianna In the second book there is an old sub of Christians that is going after Anna...The third book Anna's EX boss if trying to kill Christian and Anna and the car chase scene in the third book is really interesting. I was on edge. There is a plane crash in the second one. Like I said the second and third book ARE WAY better.

message 177: by Wigs (new) - rated it 1 star

Wigs what even omg

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) Wigs wrote: "what even omg"

Hahaha, IKR? The fan fiction bullshit in this series is so off the charts stupid and nonsensical.

message 179: by AnnaLund (new) - added it

AnnaLund Thriller. I have now heard it all, it is official.

Sandra *dies laughing* a thriller??? No, book three is just a fan-pandering mess because her fans begged the author to write a sequel. It became MOTU II, aka Fifty Shades Freed. There is no plot, and there's certainly nothing THRILLING about it. If anything, it's a step back in their relationship, because Edwistian in the first chapter alone treats Anabella as a possession when he marks her chest with hickeys after she dares to sunbathe topless.

I want a supermassive black hole to open up and swallow these books so they are NEVER heard from again.

Jamie (The Title Page) Kyrianna wrote: "In the second book there is an old sub of Christians that is going after Anna...The third book Anna's EX boss if trying to kill Christian and Anna and the car chase scene in the third book is reall..."

Sandra Jamie wrote: "Can I just point out that the car chase scene that is 'really interesting' is composed of them driving 80 on the highway, then pulling over in a parking garage and having car sex. Enough said. "

In an Audi R7, I think, and the author had a big author's note at the beginning of that chapter to let us all know that her husband had taken her to the dealership so she could test out whether there was enough room in the car to have sex, and what positions it would allow. And I lulzed so hard...

message 183: by Wigs (new) - rated it 1 star

Wigs Omg what a messsss

Sandra Wigs wrote: "Omg what a messsss"

You ain't kidding. And that's actually being kind. :)

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) Jamie wrote: "Can I just point out that the car chase scene that is 'really interesting' is composed of them driving 80 on the highway, then pulling over in a parking garage and having car sex. Enough said."

Hahahaha, seriously. And the entire thing was so "what in the actual fuck" because she was actually serious about what she was writing but it's nothing but ridiculous and lulzy. There was no reason for the chase other than to precipitate the car sex and Bella is dumber than a damn lamppost so the entire thing is like "Oh my God, I'm driving fast! It's so scary! Edward is so sexy in a car going fast. He's so sexy always. Oh my. Oh my God, I'm driving fast!" Nothing would have been better than them ending up roadkill under a semi.

Tennille Covington Lol love it

message 187: by Ste2fanie (new)

Ste2fanie Thank you for helping in my decision to stay clear of this tripe. And proving my point to my friend who liked all three and trying to get me to read them that it truly was unoriginal as it is a fanfiction with name changes. Bitch stole and should be punished not acclaimed!

message 188: by Sandra (last edited Nov 01, 2012 12:58PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Sandra Aniliya wrote: "People like you who donot possess the talent to write, just wASTE THEIR TIME IN WRITING ****ING SHIT LIKE THS. aND u r still quoting the example of fairy tales...ur small mind and negative thinking SUCKS man... Oh Sorry... you are not a MAN you are still the suckling baby in your mommy's lap... u into erotica right???? well i dnt have wrds so i can ask u wat ****ing shit do u find erotic,hot or enough to satisfy your insatiable desire or something which will send you after your girlfriend so thst u can try that shit on her... U r the biggest sex addict i came across in my entire life... you r not even worth of the dirt under the shoes of the characters in this novel...
how many people know u except the little band of your family and friends while on the other hand E.L James is so famous.
U get that kind of famous by writing a seven sentence story with great plot and hell of erotic fucking shit. You moron!!"

Wow, Aniliya. First off, I'm gonna flag your little diatribe for attacking another member of this site. Secondly, I do not understand why you, who rated this book 5 stars, felt compelled to enter a 1 star review to post your opinion. Did you think you'd convince Wigs to change his mind and give this drivel 5 stars after you called him a moron? Or are you part of the same group that thinks that everyone who doesn't like this book series is "just jealous" of the Messiah Ms. James for writing this crappy book series? One that was formerly the fanfic Master of the Universe, a fanfic which used the characters from Twilight, and which was NOT substantially changed from fanfic to published 'book'?

Your incomprehensible rant, which I have copied into this comment for posterity's sake, is out of line, out of control and utterly ridiculous. Perhaps you should disengage yourself from Ms. James' asshole - your nose is brown.

Off with you.

Sandra Aniliya, I can appreciate that you want to set things right, but your apology should be directed at Wigs, not me, since you called him a moron and not me.

Yes, everyone has the right to express their own views and opinions, and if you'd come in here saying that you loved the book, without resorting to foul language and personal attacks on another member, we would likely have chuckled and let it go.

Again, thanks for the apology, but you don't owe it to me - you owe it to Wigs. :)

Tennille Covington Haha some of these reviews were better than readg the book

message 191: by Lizzie (new) - rated it 1 star

Lizzie Sparrow Dear God. SERIOUSLY? James actually said that she's set the bar for writing pretty high???????????????????????? How high is she, anyway? That statement alone makes me want to go bitch slap the shit out of her---as if her book hadn't already. UNREAL. What a delusional egotist.

message 192: by Jessica (new) - rated it 1 star

Jessica Who writes that book "Deadline"?

message 193: by Wigs (new) - rated it 1 star

Wigs Jessica wrote: "Who writes that book "Deadline"?"

Mira Grant! Deadline is the second book in the series though and reading about it would be spoilers, he's the link to the first book in the series:

Feed

message 194: by Jessica (new) - rated it 1 star

Jessica Excellent. It sounds much more intertaining than the slog that is 50 Shades of Grey...however, my OCD self has to now finish this train wreck of 50 Shades trilogy (which is a reason why I have yet to touch Twilight). I just can't help myself. I was the kid that read every single Anne of Green Gables book. Every. Single. One. All 7 of them or however many of them there were...

message 195: by Anne-Marie (new)

Anne-Marie how to gain success by using other people's characters, barely changing them and then laughing all the way to the bank
..this is exactly why I refuse to read the series. I simply can't believe she got away with it. I'm glad there's reviews like yours out there.

message 196: by Sheba (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sheba All she did was take the movie Pretty Woman and made it XXX Rated. Watch the movie....you'll notice the striking similarities!! Sad. In order to enjoy this book one would have to of never had an actual sex life!! THIS BOOK SUCKED!!

message 197: by Wigs (new) - rated it 1 star

Wigs well you gave it three stars tho

Sasha  Mizaree (Reviews) I am an erotica writer myself, and I find books like this sickening. Not only because she portrays BDSM (which I'm a fucking fan of) as something that it's not (the author decided to write about a topic she clearly knows nothing about), but what's with abusive relationships being considered sexy? You know, every time I hear of someone gushing about how hot and romantic this is, it makes me question if they themselves have self esteem problems. As a woman, why the HELL would you want a guy this controlling, manipulative, selfish? This should be a guide of "how to avoid getting into an abusive relationship" not fucking romance. I loved this review, I genuinely laughed out loud. I wish you went into more detail about Christians manipulation tactics, but still.

message 199: by Maira (new) - rated it 1 star

Maira love the picture. :)

message 200: by Jen (new) - rated it 1 star

Jen Everything I thought and wanted to say as I forced myself to read this crap!