Joy (joyous reads)'s Reviews > Slammed

Slammed by Colleen Hoover

Apr 19, 2012

bookshelves: in-my-kindle, indie, cant-put-these-down
Read on April 19, 2012

It started like a normal YA romance; girl meets boy, girl gets annoyed by too-forward boy but couldn't stop being all, omg-he's-so-adorbs! In a span of a week, these two creatures found themselves surrounded by floating hearts, y'all. And then, the unsuspecting plot twist came and shot every floating hearts over their heads. How rude.

If you can get past the mild cheddah in the beginning, you'll end up wondering why this book never made it to your Kindle earlier. This turned out to be one of those, omg! Is that the time? How have I read this book in a little less than three hours?! And something else...how did the author manage to make this insta-love romance endearing and not at all annoying?

My eyes are burning and I'm fighting off the urge to tape my lids open.

I should've downloaded the second part of this series right away because, heck, I didn't get much sleeping done after reading Slammed anyway. It was addictive and had the annoying ability to make you think long after you're done reading. And if that's not what will keep you awake, it'll be the heavy pressure on your chest that will not dissipate as fast as you want it to.

The beginning was a lot of telling but as the story progressed, I found myself ignoring it - distracted by the fantastic plotline, beautiful poetry, humorous scenarios and dialogues and lovely, well fleshed out characters. And dear God. Did this book make me cry. A lot.

VERDICT: Two words: WILL COOPER. Gah. Box of tissues required.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slammed.

07/18/2016 marked as: read

Wendy Darling Wow, this is the second 5 star review of this book I've seen recently!

Joy (joyous reads) Wendy Darling wrote: "Wow, this is the second 5 star review of this book I've seen recently!"

I loved this, Ms Wendy! Sated my contemp craving right up :)

~Tina~ Oh please tell me that those were tears of happy? I'm gonna need to read this sooner then I thought! Great review!

Joy (joyous reads) ~Tina~ wrote: "Oh please tell me that those were tears of happy? I'm gonna need to read this sooner then I thought! Great review!"

Happy and sad. You'll like this, Tina!

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I have this on my to read list. I love me some intense YA love! Can't wait to read it! :)

Joy (joyous reads) Lisa wrote: "I have this on my to read list. I love me some intense YA love! Can't wait to read it! :)"

Highly addictive! ;) You should read it soon!

Arlene I bought this a couple of weeks ago and I'll bet I'm going to kick myself for not reading it sooner. So glad you loved it Joy. This book is burning up my feed. I need to get to it!

Joy (joyous reads) Arlene wrote: "I bought this a couple of weeks ago and I'll bet I'm going to kick myself for not reading it sooner. So glad you loved it Joy. This book is burning up my feed. I need to get to it!"

Oh yeah. Read it for the simple reason that you want an introduction with Will Cooper....wait for it...Sawwwwoooon. lol.

Arlene Really??? Okay, you sold me. I'm going to try and squeeze it in this weekend.

♥Rachel♥ Wow, you guys are totally derailing my reading plans. I have so many I should be getting too! Your review has me intrigued, Joy and you are the third person I've seen with a 5 star review of this.

message 11: by Jenn (last edited Apr 20, 2012 12:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn @JOY- if you read book 2 be prepared to have a box of tissue. The auth is writing another book from Eddie's POV as we speak. And wait until you read Will's slam to Lake in book 2. VERY swoooooon worthy poem. It will NOT disappoint. Its a poem any girl would want their man to say to them.

@ Arlene- For once I did NOT cry like everyone else did with this book. It's a shocker! But no worries, book 2 made me cry a bit to make up for it.

@Rachel- I say it's a must read. I can't stop thinking about this series. I'm super super close to picking it back up and reading a second time.

Joy (joyous reads) Gah. I need that second book, stat! Thanks Jennifer :)

♥Rachel♥ Wow, Jennifer! With that strong recommendation, I will have to get to it. I'm off to Miami this coming Wednesday, I think I have my reads planned with Bared to You and this series! :)

message 14: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn @Joy, do you have a kindle? It's loanable I can loan you mine. It may have a need for tissue but the book won't disappoint and you will walk away smiling. Or maybe laughing. This book had some good laughing moments.
@Rachel- good! I promise it won't disappoint.

I think this series is BUTTERFLYING fantastic. lol You will get what I mean with the butterfly word after reading book 2. I wrote a review for book 2 that may help you want to read it even more.

message 15: by Sunshiny (new)

Sunshiny Me is this 1st POV??? say yes

message 16: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn YES it's 1 POV. It's from the gals POV, Layken.

message 17: by Sunshiny (new)

Sunshiny Me awesome! i have a pesky aversion to 3rd POV that i can't seem to shake. thanks! =)

message 18: by Jasprit (new) - added it

Jasprit Wonderful review I've never heard of this book before, I will definitely be checking it out, your review has me intrigued!

Joy (joyous reads) @Sunshiny no pesky 3rd POV :) Win.

@Jasprit thank you! I hope you'll like it *chews nails*

Monique You said it so well. I didn't like the quick falling-in-love part, but after that I couldn't put it down.

Stephanie Shelton I just finished this book today and I am currently reading the second one. LOVED it!!! Absolutely loved it.