Chibineko's Reviews > Higurashi When They Cry: Atonement Arc, Vol. 4

Higurashi When They Cry by Ryukishi07

Apr 19, 12

bookshelves: awesomeness
Read in April, 2012

I've been ever so patiently waiting for this to get shipped to me, resisting the urge to track it down at my local bookstore. This volume wraps up the Atonement arc, which is the answer ark to the Abducted by Demons question arc that the entire series started off with. We get to see a similar situation, only this time we get to see the viewpoints of the people around the conflicted person as well as that of Rena herself.

Story-wise, there's a lot to like here. If you're one of the readers who keeps getting frustrated that the endings and story arcs are just repetitions of everything that's come before (only with a few changes), rest assured that this final volume is not like any of the ones that came before. We're getting closer to the end of the answer arcs, with Atonement being the halfway mark and setting things up to reveal what is ultimately going on. If you're like me and have been following along with the story via the anime episodes or through other avenues, then you're pretty aware of where Ryuzaki07 is ultimately leading to and can spot all of the obvious clues. For those who are lucky enough to be reading all of this for the first time and have resisted the urge to read spoilers (so disciplined!), then you have the extra treat of being able to play Sherlock Holmes and piece together the clues to see what's going on.

Art-wise, this was great. It's a cute style and I really enjoyed all of Rena's facial expressions and her demeanor. There's a reason why she's one of my favorite characters: when she decides to jump the train to crazy town, she goes all out. (Although I have to say that my favorite character can change depending on who the current arc focuses on!)

This is absolutely worth getting in my opinion, and if you're a fan of Higurashi then this will be an obvious "must have". If you're a little hesitant due to the amount of volumes out there, then that's understandable. In that case I recommend looking into seeing if your local library has any of the volumes available and reading them through there. (Or read them on the bookshelves of your local bookstore or watching the anime, which is good but not as good as the manga at times.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Higurashi When They Cry.