Jann Barber's Reviews > Instruments of Darkness

Instruments of Darkness by Imogen Robertson

Apr 22, 12

Read from April 19 to 22, 2012

The Goodreads summary of this book will give you a bare bones idea of the plot, so I won't repeat that.

I have already put the second book in what seems to be a series on reserve at the library, as I thought the pairing of Mrs. Westerman and Crowthers was a fine one. Instruments of Darkness takes place from June 2 through June 7, 1780, with occasional flashbacks to fighting in America in 1775. The story is told, then, in three parts: events in London in 1780, events in Sussex in 1780, and events in America in 1775. Everything ties together, but you do need to pay attention and remember who characters are and where they are.

The Gordon Riots did take place in London during that time period and in some ways, became a character in the London events.

Practices in the areas of medicine, music, legal procedures, and etiquette helped move the story along. Sometimes, it can distract from the storyline when historical information is introduced, but that is not the case here.

I think this is an excellent mystery! There were enough separate streams that finally came together at the end. While I had suspicions about certain characters, I was surprised at several revelations. They all made sense, looking back at the way Robertson built the various stories.

Given that Westerman and Crowthers live in a small part of the world, I don't know how Robertson will make a series unless they somehow travel around. Mrs. Westerman's husband is often at sea, and she is in charge of the manor, their children, and her sister.

Then again, Jessica Fletcher seemed to find a lot of murders in small Cabot Cove, so I guess anything is possible.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Instruments of Darkness.

message 1: by Lewis (new) - added it

Lewis Weinstein Thanks for making me aware of a (new for me) historical thriller.